POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features Server Time
6 May 2024 09:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  RFC: Wishlist/features (Message 21 to 30 of 58)
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Subject: Re: Wishlist/features
Date: 18 Aug 2006 00:15:13
Message: <nifae2h93rsskvm6jf0tm2rrtm0mhn42tb@4ax.com>
Hi StephenS, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> The following is a file i'm working on, Floor_plan_A.mdl. I consider it only
> half, or maybe only one quarter finished. You, or anyone else, may download
> this file. The website has a limited bandwidth.
I have 40 fps in all the views on this scene. I don't consider this
big, it only has around 21000 polygons. Does this scene slow down
significantly for you? What are your hardware specs?

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 18 Aug 2006 01:06:50
Message: <57iae25cempv8kqq2ptfc47f9kppndi51t@4ax.com>
Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Here's a
> quick way I just tried that will show you what I mean: make a sphere with 24
> divisions; use "Convert to Wireframe" on it; in the duplicate dialogue
> create 9 copies of the wireframe group, with references. This slows mine
> down so much that I would not want to proceed any further.
Holy crap, are you serious? That only creates around 3000 polygons. I
must have a way more high-powered system, that scene doesn't slow it
down in the least, I have 270fps in the 3D viewport (yes two hundred
and seventy) and over 300 in the 2D views..
Are you using software rendering by any chance? What are the hardware
specs of your system?

Just to see what brings my system down, I subdivided the mesh out of
said sphere by 2 and extruded all the faces three times and now my
system is at 5fps, but I have over a million triangles.

BTW, to see how many triangles your scene has, Ctrl-Right-Click on the
View name and click on the little Info icon. It'll show Triangles and
Quads. Multiply the quads number by two and add it to the triangles to
get the number of triangles being rendered.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Aug 2006 03:13:40
Message: <44e568a4$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysATaolDOTcom@> schreef in bericht

> We will have to stop agreeing, so often :-)

<grin>

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Marc
Date: 18 Aug 2006 04:28:58
Message: <44e57a4a@news.povray.org>

s519e2tisfdmldn9vd4fm023dfvkouna9l@4ax.com...

> We will have to stop agreeing, so often :-)
I agree :-p

Marc

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 18 Aug 2006 06:54:08
Message: <44e59c50$1@news.povray.org>
> I have 40 fps in all the views on this scene. I don't consider this
> big, it only has around 21000 polygons. Does this scene slow down
> significantly for you? What are your hardware specs?
The file as it was last saved had most of the objects in the 'Equipment'
group assigned to the 'hide' layer. If I select the Pearson_pressbrake
camera (3d view) and make visible the hide layer, this scene starts to slow
down, 1.2 secs/f. The OpenGL driver lists: triangles 144010 and Quads
111584. I would only expand the scene like this when I'm trying to match the
3d view to an actual picture I've taken with my digital camera, most of the
time I hide some of the scene. Since the scene is not finished and I would
like to twice to three times more objects, I though I would share.

The other files I'm using are now at:
ca.geocities.com/morbjectay/hoist_stand.inc.zip 80kb
It needs the fullmoon.dll plugin to be complete.

My computer is about 2 months old
HP Media Center PC m7470n
Athlon 64 x2 dual 4200+ 2gb ram
Windows XP

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Aug 2006 08:24:59
Message: <44e5b19b$1@news.povray.org>
"StephenS" <stephen@nospam> schreef in bericht

> My computer is about 2 months old
> HP Media Center PC m7470n
> Athlon 64 x2 dual 4200+ 2gb ram
> Windows XP

When everything in your file is made visible, there is a marked slowdown in
the refreshing of the windows.
142850 triangles; 80888 quads.

Mine is about 2 months old too
HP Media Center PC m7490.nl-a
Pentium D 2x3GHz
Windows XP

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 18 Aug 2006 11:33:20
Message: <5dnbe2l30mrb3rfri9st1373evft21orjr@4ax.com>
Hi Thomas de Groot, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> When everything in your file is made visible, there is a marked slowdown in
> the refreshing of the windows.
> 142850 triangles; 80888 quads.
Ok, now I see it. I missed all those hidden layers....

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 18 Aug 2006 11:49:53
Message: <44e5e1a1$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> When everything in your file is made visible, there is a marked slowdown in
> the refreshing of the windows.
> 142850 triangles; 80888 quads.
> Mine is about 2 months old too
> HP Media Center PC m7490.nl-a
> Pentium D 2x3GHz
> Windows XP

all layers made visible:
655830 tri., 268330 quad: 1.8 fps (pearson_pressbrake camera)

a little sluggish, but still tolerable.

mine is over 2 years old now
Toshiba Portege M205
1.5 GHz Celeron 512 MB DDR
WinXP Tablet Edition

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean

Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Date: 18 Aug 2006 16:59:04
Message: <44e62a18$1@news.povray.org>
> a little sluggish, but still tolerable.
Yes, I have no problems with it's current size and refresh rate, it is most
workable. I would like to add to the scene(x2 - x4) and this may become a
problem. I have about 5 more main objects being worked on and many many
smaller objects waiting there turn.

Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Steve Shelby
Date: 18 Aug 2006 20:15:15
Message: <44e65813$1@news.povray.org>
"Lutz Kretzschmar" <lut### [at] stmuccom> wrote in message
> Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:
>
>> Here's a
>> quick way I just tried that will show you what I mean: make a sphere with
>> 24
>> divisions; use "Convert to Wireframe" on it; in the duplicate dialogue
>> create 9 copies of the wireframe group, with references. This slows mine
>> down so much that I would not want to proceed any further.
> Holy crap, are you serious? That only creates around 3000 polygons. I
> must have a way more high-powered system, that scene doesn't slow it
> down in the least, I have 270fps in the 3D viewport (yes two hundred
> and seventy) and over 300 in the 2D views..
> Are you using software rendering by any chance? What are the hardware
> specs of your system?
>
> Just to see what brings my system down, I subdivided the mesh out of
> said sphere by 2 and extruded all the faces three times and now my
> system is at 5fps, but I have over a million triangles.
>
> BTW, to see how many triangles your scene has, Ctrl-Right-Click on the
> View name and click on the little Info icon. It'll show Triangles and
> Quads. Multiply the quads number by two and add it to the triangles to
> get the number of triangles being rendered.

Lutz,
Mine says 1.9 fps (BTW, what is fps?) with the scene I described above. Did
you check the two boxes, spheres, and cylinders in the convert to wireframe
dialog box? Or maybe you converted to mesh instead of to wireframe? My info
shows216,000 triangles and 682,560 quads. When multiplied and added as you
instructed, the total is 1,581,120.
My computer is a P4 2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, with Windows XP.
Steve