POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : TC-RTC thought on voting/rating Server Time: 16 Dec 2018 23:12:04 GMT
  TC-RTC thought on voting/rating (Message 1 to 10 of 18)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 23 Jul 2008 13:02:39
Message: <48872bef$1@news.povray.org>
I just read again carefully milco2006's thread above, about not being able 
to vote because he had not entered an image in previous rounds. I went to 
the TC-RTC rules and read those carefully again.

After pondering this awhile, I believe there is a problem here. Suppose that 
in the next round all entries are images by first-time submitters. According 
to the rules, they would not be able to vote during that round. Only members 
having submitted in previous rounds (but not in the discussed one) would be 
able to vote. This seems very unfair to me. IMO, as soon as you submit an 
image, you should be able to vote for that particular round. Only if you 
have not submitted for three successive rounds, you should be excluded from 
voting/rating. However, voting rights should then be granted again as soon 
as you submit an image again.

The text of the rules should therefore be (maybe): "...a member is allowed 
to rate pictures only if he has uploaded an entry in one of the last three 
competitions, including the current one."

Am I understanding this correctly or am I daft?

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 24 Jul 2008 07:25:36
Message: <ndbg845nr5na4nsbut4phh32qtslrh66qe@4ax.com>
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:02:39 +0200, "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet>
wrote:

>
>Am I understanding this correctly or am I daft?

I think that you understand it correctly and I think that it is more of a bug
than a mistake. It surely cannot be meant. I entered the animation challenge and
find that I cannot vote even if someone else enters :)

BTW being correct does not mean that you are not daft ;-)
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 24 Jul 2008 12:55:39
Message: <48887bcb@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> schreef in bericht 
news:ndbg845nr5na4nsbut4phh32qtslrh66qe@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:02:39 +0200, "Thomas de Groot" 
> <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet>
> wrote:
>
>>
>>Am I understanding this correctly or am I daft?
>
> I think that you understand it correctly and I think that it is more of a 
> bug
> than a mistake. It surely cannot be meant. I entered the animation 
> challenge and
> find that I cannot vote even if someone else enters :)

hmm, yes. That is what I thought too.

>
> BTW being correct does not mean that you are not daft ;-)

Oh, I do agree! Especially when the sun is shinning on my head.  ;-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 24 Jul 2008 13:05:35
Message: <udvg841ke0lsunqfku4kjk6qair76t1fm8@4ax.com>
On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 14:55:39 +0200, "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet>
wrote:

>
>hmm, yes. That is what I thought too.

It must be a bug it cannot be by design. Can it?

>>
>> BTW being correct does not mean that you are not daft ;-)
>
>Oh, I do agree! Especially when the sun is shinning on my head.  ;-)
>

Dyslexia strikes again, I meant deft ;)

Definition: I'm deaf in this yin but not deaf in this one <groan>
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 07:38:52
Message: <4889830c$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> schreef in bericht 
news:udvg841ke0lsunqfku4kjk6qair76t1fm8@4ax.com...
>>>>
>>> BTW being correct does not mean that you are not daft ;-)
>>
>>Oh, I do agree! Especially when the sun is shinning on my head.  ;-)
>>
>
> Dyslexia strikes again, I meant deft ;)

LOL

>
> Definition: I'm deaf in this yin but not deaf in this one <groan>

Ouch! nevertheless, I like that one :-)

Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 08:50:38
Message: <488993de@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote in message 
news:48872bef$1@news.povray.org...

> Am I understanding this correctly or am I daft?

  Hehe, you're not daft Thomas, far from it. :) You are perfectly correct of 
course, and I have to again say that I didn't like that particular rule 
myself. It was a way to try and get entrants to enter at another time, 
rather than just enter once and then disappear never to be seen again. It 
was also a way to stop vote rigging as there were a few who created extra 
accounts. Anyway, I've now addressed this and now ALL members can vote 
whether or not they have entered or will never enter. The rules have been 
amended to reflect this, and additionally, I've also added that any member 
can enter as many times as they want as long as it's a 'different' take on 
the subject. This of course also applies to animations.

    This will be stated in the next newsletter, which will be soon.

       ~Steve~


>
> Thomas
>
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 09:59:39
Message: <mv8j84dlgmjl6sqg2m4udpgh6e4fg4r5ja@4ax.com>
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:38:53 +0200, "Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet>
wrote:

>> Definition: I'm deaf in this yin but not deaf in this one <groan>
>
>Ouch! nevertheless, I like that one :-)

An old Glasgow saying :)
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 10:08:41
Message: <c89j84djhk53c37hu22ftse8r63sgklc48@4ax.com>
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:50:30 +0100, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>Anyway, I've now addressed this and now ALL members can vote 
>whether or not they have entered or will never enter. The rules have been 
>amended to reflect this, and additionally, I've also added that any member 
>can enter as many times as they want as long as it's a 'different' take on 
>the subject. This of course also applies to animations.

Now we are a club where all the members have voting rights. I like this idea. As
long as it is not abused it should work very well. In the IRTC I often wished
that I could vote and comment but since I seldom entered I could not. Nice one
Steve.

BTW in the stills challenge Ian MacKay's image is not shown.  
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: St 
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 10:28:03
Message: <4889aab3$1@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoysAT@aolDOTcom> wrote in message 
news:c89j84djhk53c37hu22ftse8r63sgklc48@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:50:30 +0100, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:
>
>>Anyway, I've now addressed this and now ALL members can vote
>>whether or not they have entered or will never enter. The rules have been
>>amended to reflect this, and additionally, I've also added that any member
>>can enter as many times as they want as long as it's a 'different' take on
>>the subject. This of course also applies to animations.
>
> Now we are a club where all the members have voting rights. I like this 
> idea. As
> long as it is not abused it should work very well. In the IRTC I often 
> wished
> that I could vote and comment but since I seldom entered I could not. Nice 
> one
> Steve.

      Yes, let's see how it goes for this one. I think it should be ok, and 
I've put the 20/20/20 idea on hold too, but, if I see silly scoring like 
1/1/1, it might be resurrected again, or the perpetrator gets banned. I 
personally don't want to ban anyone - that just isn't me, but it would be 
nice to have some honesty. Sure, if an image is really bad, then mark 
accordingly, but most images aren't like that, they are fairly good in their 
own unique way, so the voting (and commenting) should reflect that for that 
particular image.


> BTW in the stills challenge Ian MacKay's image is not shown.

     Ah, thanks for pointing that out Stephen, this is because I had to 
change Ian's username to give him voting rights on animations. I'll email 
him and ask him to re-upload the image.

   (See? I told you I was in a typing frenzy!)  :o)

     ~Steve~


> -- 
>
> Regards
>     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: TC-RTC thought on voting/rating
Date: 25 Jul 2008 10:59:13
Message: <55cj849oqu2cp3uh5ljponto9i4l2jm8q1@4ax.com>
On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:27:51 +0100, "St." <dot### [at] dotcom> wrote:

>
>      Yes, let's see how it goes for this one. I think it should be ok, and 
>I've put the 20/20/20 idea on hold too, but, if I see silly scoring like 
>1/1/1, it might be resurrected again, or the perpetrator gets banned. I 
>personally don't want to ban anyone - that just isn't me, but it would be 
>nice to have some honesty. Sure, if an image is really bad, then mark 
>accordingly, but most images aren't like that, they are fairly good in their 
>own unique way, so the voting (and commenting) should reflect that for that 
>particular image.
>
Yeah, the 20/20/20 should be a last resort IMO. I did not know that new entrants
could not vote. Maybe if a score is less than 5 a comment must be made
compulsory (?)

>> BTW in the stills challenge Ian MacKay's image is not shown.
>
>     Ah, thanks for pointing that out Stephen, this is because I had to 
>change Ian's username to give him voting rights on animations. I'll email 
>him and ask him to re-upload the image.
>
Oh! Is he going to upload an animation? I hope so.

>   (See? I told you I was in a typing frenzy!)  :o)

Those little fingers must be worn t the bone :)
-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.