POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Before and After and new website Server Time
30 Apr 2024 10:22:23 EDT (-0400)
  Before and After and new website (Message 33 to 42 of 62)
From: St
Subject: Re: Before and After and new website
Date: 8 May 2007 03:04:01
Message: <464020e1@news.povray.org>
Hi Folks, seeing as I was completely rude and didn't comment on the last
TC entries, I thought that I'd better comment this time around, or I'll be
sent to the PoV naughty step.   ;)  (Actually, I do have a .txt file half
finished sitting on my desktop, so I tried).

  Ok, here they are for this round:

   "But Which Came First?" By David Lewis

   When I received this image and opened it, I smiled, and thought; "How
good is that, kind of in the same style as H.E. Day's 'Midnight on the Farm'
image", which I also really liked. I think you've done a great job on the uv
mapping and especially on the fence. I think the lighting and overall colour
of this image is good, it's pleasing to the eye, and I think it could also
have done with a bit more straw. Nice image and a good take on the subject.

  "Just A Splash" By Bill Pragnell

     As ever, another nice image from Bill. For some reason that I can't
work out, this 'place' makes me think that it's *very* high in the sky -
like a window on an extremely tall tower of a fairytale castle. I really
like her... eyes, and the poses are good. I think I would have attempted to
do something about her elbow creases in the 'after' image as they don't
quite look right to me, (but I think this is inherent of Daz/Poser models).

  "The Passing Away" By Malcolm Findlay

    This image does indeed convey 'Before and After'. I like your technique
in producing the picture, he does look like a soldier of the Povers
Regiment. I think your text is probably ok, and maybe I would have moved the
shadows around a little to stop that illusion of the text being deeper on
the left-hand side. I don't know, but worth a try.

  "A Type of Typewriter" By Shay

    When I looked at this image, I immediately knew where you were coming
from Shay, and it wasn't a surprise to see that you've come up with yet
another good example of your techniques and work. I see the old typewriter
as the 'before' and "what you can do with text now" as the 'after'. I don't
know how you do this stuff Shay, but don't stop.

  "Yet Another Reflective Sphere on a Checkered Plane" By Tek

     Ah yes, we've all been there with your 'before' image Tek! :) Not much
I can say about this as there really isn't much to add, apart from I think I
would have been tempted to put a camera man in the reflection as someone
else mentioned. Well executed and very realistic image.

   "Aging" By William Tracy

     Again, not much to say about this image apart from I like its
simplicity, it kind of reminds of a billboard advertisement for a show
that's on at the theatre, (and a good advertisement it would make too). The
modelling is really good and I like the finish on the walking stick.

  "1st Cup of the Morning" By Mike Chelmecki

   Great interpretation of the subject Mike, and yes, I did laugh. It had
been like that for me that very morning.  :)

  If this image was produced 'hastily', then you did a good job. I think
you've got the focal blur just right, it really brings the focus of the
viewer to the most important thing in the morning; coffee. I think I would
have added a table leg to the left-hand side of the table, but at first, I
didn't really notice it.

   "Reganomics" By Brian Price

     I was left a little confused about which way you're trying to convey
the subject. Is it that the nice houses on the left had to be flattened so
that industry could move in, and therefore, that's depicted in your 'after'
image? Or is it that "here's a nice clean neighbourhood, and that's the
dirty industry we have to live with"? I don't know, but if the latter, then
more grime and dirt would have been good in the 'after' image. The modelling
is good, and I can understand why you got burned-out on it as a lot of work
was put into this.

  "A Time of Change" By Thomas de Groot

    Ah, just excellent Thomas! I like both of these. In the 'before' image,
I like the use of the posters through the archway, the girl running in the
background, the guys leaning against the wall, the good use of Ivy
Generator, etc. etc. etc. I like it all, it all works. In the 'after' image,
I like that these are the same people but now a lot older too. The structure
is definately what some town might do for that courtyard, and I'm sure I've
seen similar in RL. Good work once again.

  ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message