POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : New topic: speed Server Time: 29 Sep 2020 10:58:19 GMT
  New topic: speed (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Tek
Subject: New topic: speed
Date: 3 Nov 2005 04:55:37
Message: <43699849$1@news.povray.org>
Speed is the new topic, according to ftp://ftp.irtc.org/pub/.message

Also last round's images can be downloaded, though there's a few duplicates 
in there which I presume the admins will clean up before the main site's 
updated & voting officially opens.

-- 
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com


Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: New topic: speed
Date: 7 Nov 2005 19:17:12
Message: <436fa838$1@news.povray.org>
I can't think of anything other than a motion blurred race car.

Skip


Post a reply to this message

From: Tek
Subject: Re: New topic: speed
Date: 10 Nov 2005 05:14:39
Message: <4372d73f$1@news.povray.org>
I've had a few ideas. Feel free to borrow one of these:

1/ a series of objects with a silhouette of a cartoon character carved out 
of them, as if he's run through them at high speed.
2/ a motion blurred car chase (okay that's basically the same as your one!)
3/ a mouse in a field looking up, about to start running, with the shadow of 
a hawk cast on the ground nearby.

I seriously doubt I'm going to use any of those, 'cause I figure they all 
require more time/talent than I have at the moment. So seriously feel free 
to take them.

-- 
Tek
http://evilsuperbrain.com

"Skip Talbot" <Ski### [at] aolcom> wrote in message 
news:436fa838$1@news.povray.org...
>I can't think of anything other than a motion blurred race car.
>
> Skip


Post a reply to this message

From: Ross
Subject: Re: New topic: speed
Date: 10 Nov 2005 18:55:59
Message: <437397bf$1@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote in message
news:4372d73f$1@news.povray.org...
> I've had a few ideas. Feel free to borrow one of these:
>
> 1/ a series of objects with a silhouette of a cartoon character carved out
> of them, as if he's run through them at high speed.

That's a pretty good idea, and you could probably get quick and decent
results using hand drawn (assuming you can draw decently) height fields as
the objects the character has run through. I imagining some bugs bunny
cartoon where someone runs through 4 walls, only to result in a "splat" at
the last wall which was brick.

A tough part would be getting the scene set up from the right place. It's a
lot easier to convey that he's run through 4 walls with motion and sound,
but a still shot of the results could be hard. The camera might need to be
pretty close to the first hole so it almost entirely frames the image so
there's enough room to look through the wall to the next room where he rant
through the next wall.

> 2/ a motion blurred car chase (okay that's basically the same as your
one!)

boat chase/race would be more interesting with all the water
reflections/refractions and spray kicked up. probably easier with less parts
to model on a boat than a car.

> 3/ a mouse in a field looking up, about to start running, with the shadow
of
> a hawk cast on the ground nearby.

that's good too. a rabbit might convey more speed, and it's ears could be
good visual indicators of something wrong.

an adaptain of "The Tortoise and the Hare" (i think Bugs Bunny is stuck in
my head now)... a turtle with a rocket strapped to it's shell. heh, anything
with a rocket strapped to it ;)

I wish i had the patience and time to stick to practicing 3d modelling. I
think i'd make a turtle with a rocket.


Post a reply to this message

From: Skip Talbot
Subject: Re: New topic: speed
Date: 11 Nov 2005 19:17:04
Message: <4374ee30$1@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:

> 
>>2/ a motion blurred car chase (okay that's basically the same as your
> 
> one!)
> 
> boat chase/race would be more interesting with all the water
> reflections/refractions and spray kicked up. probably easier with less parts
> to model on a boat than a car.
> 

Yes, but then the water would become the challenging part.  Having 
realistic looking waves and boats that interact with those waves seemes 
like it is quite a feat.


> an adaptain of "The Tortoise and the Hare" (i think Bugs Bunny is stuck in
> my head now)... a turtle with a rocket strapped to it's shell. heh, anything
> with a rocket strapped to it ;)

The tortoise with the rocket strapped to its shell is a bit cliche and I 
think you are going to find several similar attempts during this round. 
  However, if well executed it has much potential.

Skip


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.