POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC Stills Surrealism results Server Time
29 Apr 2024 05:59:22 EDT (-0400)
  IRTC Stills Surrealism results (Message 63 to 72 of 72)
From: Txemi Jendrix
Subject: RE: IRTC Stills Surrealism results
Date: 26 Sep 2003 19:46:17
Message: <3f74cfc9@news.povray.org>

> > If I enter my image and get a 35th position and
> > someone sends one image with ladybugs and
> > stairs and get the 16th position, my conclusion
> > is that something is going wrong for me.
>
> Well, one third of the votes is between 10 and 12... and this includes
your
> image and the ladybugs one. It's a very narrow range after all. I'd say
that
> the voters just expressed the feeling that all these images were not very
> distinguishable from a quality point of view.

Thank you very much for your explanation, now it's clear.

> Actually there was never any doubt for me that the winning image was the
> best one. It's a great image, possibly one of the best I've seen on the
> IRTC, and well above the competition. And yes, it's completely off-topic
and
> (possibly) done last year so that's 2 violations and on these grounds
alone
> it shouldn't have been allowed to run.

I do totally agree with you.

> Still, if I had voted in this round,
> I probably would have voted it best picture since there's no
"on-topicness"
> note (the concept for this image is very good too so there's no reason to
> vote it down there).

> The IRTC is an open competition. This is what makes it interesting: not
only
> anyone can run but the voting is quite fair IMHO (little bias, little
fraud,
> voters are by people who care). It's simpler to administrate too, I guess.
> But of course, this also allows situations like this one (off-topic image
> winning) or even a situation like the Architecture round, where the winner
> image was a highly professional-looking image, but also off-topic due to
its
> lack of content.

That's what I was talking about when I said dangerous movement.
The latest tendences seem to point to good images, but that have nothing to
do
with the topic or in the last case even with the rules.
Not so long ago, the IRTC was a different thing.
Now it seems like " The topic is '#####' or whatever you want"
What kind of contest is one in which their latest winning images are
completely off-topic?
Understand me, I also love the IRTC and that's why I'm writting
right now. The topic is the basement of a contest like the IRTC,
and I love to see the different interpretations of the topic in a
hundred (more or less) brains-hearts-with-computer around the world.
Even if we take it with a little of humor we can say that now your
image has to be off-topic to win.
But it's not funny at all. Not for me at least.

>This also leads to an awful lot of bad entries, which not
> only makes viewing and voting somehow tedious but also makes the IRTC a
hard
> to take seriously as far as 3D competition go (hence no sponsors, for
> instance).

Yes, but many of us, me 1st, have entered in the IRTC with images
that have ended in the bottom of the ranking. Usually we all have
worked hard to enter better images in the next round. There are a lot
of examples.
Talking about the lack of prizes, it's always a disadvantage for a contest
not offer any prize apart from "being the winner".
I have never win the IRTC, but I have my prize everyday when pressing
render.

> The alternative I can see is to have a prior selection of the entries,
with
> a panel entitled to accept and reject images on the ground of content.
This
> would certainly lead to better, always on-topic images and more
> consideration outside the IRTC community. But it would add a lot of
overhead
> on the admins (maintaining the panel, writing rejection emails...). There
> would be some some bitching from the authors of rejected pictures,
> accusations of partiality etc. And, of course, it would be less friendly
in
> general.

I don't know if that's the solution, perhaps we should look in the other
way;
"what has changed?"

Regards

Txemi Jendrix