POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : IRTC Stills Surrealism results : Re: IRTC Stills Surrealism results Server Time
14 May 2024 20:52:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IRTC Stills Surrealism results
From: Shay
Date: 29 Sep 2003 11:32:27
Message: <3f78508b$1@news.povray.org>
"Philippe_Gibone" <Ph.### [at] wanadoofr> wrote in message

| I made a mistake when voting : for off-topic images I rated
| Artistic and technical Merit as honestly as I could, but I
| was wrong, I think, now that an off-topic image should be
| rated (1, 1, 1)

No, I think that you were right the way to vote the way you did.
Attempting to correct any other factors by "donking" what you feel to be
off-topic entries will only cause more problems.

In truth, I think that it's mostly the technical merit scores which
skewed this round. At any time in the IRTC, most of the entrants will
have a low enough experience level (and in some [most?] cases
intelligence level) that they see downloading and using a macro from
Gilles' site or rotating a few boxes around a sphere as a significant
technical achievement. Any who have moved past that level are very
likely not to receive the credit they deserve for their modeling and
technical work. If these experienced entrants want to keep competing,
then they will need to accept this and focus their efforts on making
more *attractive* images. At the same time, any voter who wants to
contribute to the legitimacy of the IRTC results should pay attention to
improving his technical merit judging.

 -Shay