POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : UV-coordinate pigment - 1 attachment : Re: UV-coordinate pigment - 1 attachment Server Time
26 Apr 2024 13:59:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UV-coordinate pigment - 1 attachment
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 26 Mar 2003 08:36:58
Message: <Xns934A94E359AD1torolavkhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
ABX <abx### [at] abxartpl> wrote in
news:bf938v0ve50rka8b3sovjbtbdmjhl7qike@4ax.com:

> On 26 Mar 2003 07:40:08 -0500, Tor Olav Kristensen
> <tor_olav_kCURLYAhotmail.com> wrote:
>> Of course I had to try ABX' suggestion to make one's
>> own XYZ to UV mapping functions:
>
> I have used that idea in my 'random' isosurface maze:
> http://news.povray.org/search/advanced/?s=maze&g=povray.binaries.images

I did not realise that back then. Hmmm... Maybe I could
use this in some of my own isosurfaces.

>> And after having played around for a while with that
>> technique, I thought that maybe one could define a
>> pigment that shows the uv-coordinates "projected"
>> onto the surface of the shape one are working with.
>
> Interesting, you mean red is u, green is v and blue is nothing ?

Yes.

>> Any suggestions or comments ?
>
> Since it is mesh, isn't that already posible with 'traditional'
> uv_mapping ?

It _is_ traditional UV-mapping. Maybe I was a little
unclear about that: No user defined functions are used
to build or map the pigment. It is POV-ray itselt that
does the mapping. My macro just builds the pigment.

(The ParametricMesh() macro defines, as usual, the UV
coordinates for each mesh triangle vertice.)

Tor Olav