POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Spline disambiguation : Re: Spline disambiguation Server Time
1 May 2024 20:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spline disambiguation
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 6 Mar 2016 12:10:07
Message: <56dc646f@news.povray.org>
Le 06/03/2016 17:31, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> So, there are cubic and "natural" splines that can be used independently, and
> then there's the bezier spline that seems to only be invoked with lathe and sor.
>
> Is there a true bezier spline that can be used as a regular spline?  Is it the
> same as natural spline?  (I would think that given the different name, the
> answer is no)

1. Have a look at

https://github.com/LeForgeron/povray/wiki/Splines

2. linear, quadratic and cubic are "regular" splines, of Bézier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B%C3%A9zier_curve

So what is your true Bézier spline ?

In lathe, the bezier_spline is made of segments of spline, point 4 of segment N must
be identical to point 1 of segment N+1
but otherwise there is no requirement of continuity of derivative at that point.
Points 2 & 3 of each segments are only control points and are only involved in one
single segment.