POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : PovPerson refused to come into my pov scene. : Re: PovPerson refused to come into my pov scene. Server Time
4 May 2024 00:33:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovPerson refused to come into my pov scene.
From: Chris B
Date: 21 Mar 2008 13:28:41
Message: <47e3fe59$1@news.povray.org>
"melo" <mel### [at] coxnet> wrote in message

> Well now that I put him in a room, I could see the short-comings of my
> approach.

You may find that you can use the 'min_extent' and 'max_extent' functions
may help you avoid collisions between your object and floors/walls/ceilings
(or at least detect them).

> Much to my shock I
> discovered a freeware character animation software:  Blender, which
> provided
> both build in forward and inverse kinematics.  It was rated next to 3dMax
> &
> Maya.
>
> Has anyone had much/any experience with it.  Am I daydreaming?

Blender is an open source modeller, (see http://www.blender.org/). It seems
to have come a long way since I last looked at it many years ago and their
site indicates that it incorporates some character animation features. The
'features' section on the site certainly talks of skeleton rigging and
animation with forward/inverse kinematics, although it's difficult to judge
where it's limitations may lie from the brief description that I just read.

Their 'scripts' section at
http://www.blender.org/download/python-scripts/wizards/ talks about
MakeHuman Python scripts, but I couldn't get the links there to work. I
don't know if those scripts are anything to do with the sourceforge
MakeHuman project at (http://sourceforge.net/projects/makehuman/).  There's
also talk of 'Walk.O.matic ' scripts and 'Blender People' scripts that seem
to be separate initiatives.

Their site does have an animation forum which looks to be pretty active, so
you would probably be able to get some good feedback there on how easy it
would be to achieve what you want to do. Also you may well get a wider
audience on this newsgroup by starting a separate thread for this question
rather than tagging it to the bottom of this thread. It might be only you
and me still reading this one :-).

Regards,
Chris B.