POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Isosurface Brick Wall : Isosurface Brick Wall Server Time
3 May 2024 05:30:22 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurface Brick Wall
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 2 Dec 2003 13:37:03
Message: <3fccdbcf@news.povray.org>
I'm working on building a replica of an old schoolhouse just a couple miles
from where I live.  No reason in particular.  I'm just impressed by all
things sufficiently old.

Anyway, as part of that, I'm making a set of iso-surface brick wall macros,
which I'll post in p.b.s-f once I've got them working reasonably well,
probably in a few weeks.  If anyone would like something sooner, feel free
to email me.

I tried using the brick wall macros that Renderdog posted a few months ago,
but because they used surface normals, I was getting some weird effects on
the corners.  So, I went off to write one with iso-surfaces.  I used some of
Renderdog's ideas, however, so I feel I should give him some credit as well.
The "roughness", the distance between bricks, brick and mortar textures, and
some other things are passed as parameters, making it quite customizable.
I'm also thinking of using a similar method for creating a stone wall.

Despite the fact that it uses iso-surfaces, it's not unreasonably slow to
render a wall.  The one in this picture only took a couple minutes to
render.  But, use a few thousand bricks, and parse-time could become a few
minutes as well.

The overall effect also looks good for distances.  The textures could be
improved for this close-up example, though.

--
Jeremy

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: