POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Petaled / polygonal vortex Server Time
27 Jul 2024 07:56:52 EDT (-0400)
  Petaled / polygonal vortex (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Petaled / polygonal vortex
Date: 27 May 2024 18:35:00
Message: <web.66550a8f5e97689f1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
So, I was just stirring some boiling water to make some pasta, and the vortex
was actually 5-sided, with the water from the preceding side apparently sliding
underneath the next.

Things like this are becoming increasingly hard to research, as web searches
aren't what they used to be.  Like finding "troposkein".

Might anyone know of a mention of this in the mathematical, geometric, or
physical science literature?   Seems like it would be a cool 3D curve to make -
once I have the requisite round tuits.

- BE

Post a reply to this message

> Things like this are becoming increasingly hard to research, as web searches
> aren't what they used to be.

Well, if it is physics, always ask Feynman. I found
https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_41.html (The flow of wet water) I did
not read it, but it has pretty pictures with vortex and "why the flow breaks up
in bands".

ingo

Post a reply to this message