POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Petaled / polygonal vortex : Re: Petaled / polygonal vortex Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:33:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Petaled / polygonal vortex
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 28 May 2024 11:34:41
Message: <6655f991$1@news.povray.org>
On 2024-05-28 01:51 (-4), ingo wrote:

> Well, if it is physics, always ask Feynman. I found
> https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/II_41.html (The flow of wet water) I did
> not read it, but it has pretty pictures with vortex and "why the flow breaks up
> in bands".

One nitpick, which is actually irrelevant to the topic: glass is no
longer considered a liquid.  This claim was based on an old definition
of "solid" that required a regular crystalline lattice.  Glass is now
considered an "amorphous solid."

Contrary to what you may have heard, glass does not flow; if it did,
large telescopes would fall permanently out of focus.  The reason some
medieval windows are thicker at the bottom is that glass making
technology was not as precise in those days, and the builders who
installed the subsequently uneven panes were not stupid.