POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Petaled / polygonal vortex : Re: Petaled / polygonal vortex Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:27:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Petaled / polygonal vortex
From: MichaelJF
Date: 28 May 2024 15:04:03
Message: <66562aa3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.05.2024 um 00:34 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> So, I was just stirring some boiling water to make some pasta, and the vortex
> was actually 5-sided, with the water from the preceding side apparently sliding
> underneath the next.
>
> Things like this are becoming increasingly hard to research, as web searches
> aren't what they used to be.  Like finding "troposkein".
>
> Might anyone know of a mention of this in the mathematical, geometric, or
> physical science literature?   Seems like it would be a cool 3D curve to make -
> once I have the requisite round tuits.
>
> - BE
>
> I found some papers may be related to this question. But I'm far away
from a deeper insight in this matter. First:

https://journals.aps.org/prfluids/pdf/10.1103/PhysRevFluids.4.100507

But as I understand it, the authors have only speculations about the
reasons and the setting seems to be not exactly the same.

May be a related phenomenon:
https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0511251#:~:text=In%20a%20flow%20driven%20by,from%20that%20of%20the%20plate.

In the following paper the authors try a numerical approximation of the
second phenomenon (as I understand this stuff):
https://www.mdpi.com/2076-3417/11/3/1348

BTW, more work in the kitchen besides boiling water you will find with
google and a possible German translation of 5-sided vortex (5-eckiger
Strudel ;)

Best regards
Michael