POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POVRay fails to start with message "could not register classes" Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:36:36 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay fails to start with message "could not register classes" (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Elmar Krieger
Subject: POVRay fails to start with message "could not register classes"
Date: 30 Sep 2016 01:15:00
Message: <web.57edf3bf5607e347a287794d0@news.povray.org>
Dear all,

my application uses POVRay, and one of my users just reported that installing
the current povwin-3.7-agpl3-setup.exe and running POVRay yielded the error box
"could not register classes".

In the source code, I saw that is message is shown if register_classes() fails:

    if (register_classes () == FALSE)
      MessageBox (NULL, "ERROR : Could not register classes", "Error",
MB_ICONSTOP) ;

Has anyone seen this before? It's certainly not a common problem, since all my
other users are fine.

May I humbly suggest to change the above code so that the GetLastError() value
is shown? This would help to track the issue...

BTW, the user is running a 64bit Windows and reported that the issue only
affects the 64bit POVRay, the 32bit version starts fine.

Many thanks for your help,
Elmar