POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : using the file queue from the command line ? Server Time
26 Feb 2024 10:09:27 EST (-0500)
  using the file queue from the command line ? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)  
From: dmichel
Subject: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 5 Feb 2010 06:55:01
Message: <web.4b6c05fe68f9fb4290b93f600@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

I am trying to automate the rendering of several pov files so I made a simple
script that runs all the pov (pvengine.exe...etc) in a for loop.

However, this doesn't work since the GUI editor always comes up so that I have
to manually close it down before the next one can start. By looking on this
forum and google, there is apparently no way to shut the editor vai the command
line...(is that right?)

So, the only other way I thought about is to use the file queue in the editor.
Is there a way of using that feature from the command line ?

Cheers and many thanks in advance !
David


Post a reply to this message

From: dmichel
Subject: Re: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 5 Feb 2010 08:25:00
Message: <web.4b6c1b3c1e4aa40b90b93f600@news.povray.org>
I thinking that this must be possible, since there is a "render and exit" in the
context menu....


Post a reply to this message

From: dmichel
Subject: Re: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 5 Feb 2010 08:40:00
Message: <web.4b6c1eda1e4aa40b90b93f600@news.povray.org>
right, I found it myself:

pvengine.exe /EXIT /RENDER "%1"

where %1 is rest of the arguments, i.e. -i frame.pov +D...etc...

Cheers
David


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 5 Feb 2010 14:02:13
Message: <4b6c6b35@news.povray.org>

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to automate the rendering of several pov files so I made a simple
> script that runs all the pov (pvengine.exe...etc) in a for loop.
>
> However, this doesn't work since the GUI editor always comes up so that I have
> to manually close it down before the next one can start. By looking on this
> forum and google, there is apparently no way to shut the editor vai the command
> line...(is that right?)
>
> So, the only other way I thought about is to use the file queue in the editor.
> Is there a way of using that feature from the command line ?
>
> Cheers and many thanks in advance !
> David
>
>
Why start end exit POV-Ray for each file?

You can just launch POV-Ray before you start the loop, then, in the 
loop, initiate each render.

You only have to close POV-Ray once an the end.


Alain


Post a reply to this message

From: dmichel
Subject: Re: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 8 Feb 2010 07:00:01
Message: <web.4b6ffbc81e4aa40b90b93f600@news.povray.org>
Alain <aze### [at] qwertyorg> wrote:

> > Hi there,
> >
> > I am trying to automate the rendering of several pov files so I made a simple
> > script that runs all the pov (pvengine.exe...etc) in a for loop.
> >
> > However, this doesn't work since the GUI editor always comes up so that I have
> > to manually close it down before the next one can start. By looking on this
> > forum and google, there is apparently no way to shut the editor vai the command
> > line...(is that right?)
> >
> > So, the only other way I thought about is to use the file queue in the editor.
> > Is there a way of using that feature from the command line ?
> >
> > Cheers and many thanks in advance !
> > David
> >
> >
> Why start end exit POV-Ray for each file?
>
> You can just launch POV-Ray before you start the loop, then, in the
> loop, initiate each render.
>
> You only have to close POV-Ray once an the end.
>
>
> Alain


Yes, what you are saying makes sense... so how would you do that exactly ? How
would you "initiate each render" in the previously opened instance of povray ?

From what I gathered, the only executable/command available is pvengine.exe and
this will start a new instance of povray by default each time it's called...


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: using the file queue from the command line ?
Date: 8 Feb 2010 12:43:51
Message: <4b704d57@news.povray.org>

> Alain<aze### [at] qwertyorg>  wrote:

>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I am trying to automate the rendering of several pov files so I made a simple
>>> script that runs all the pov (pvengine.exe...etc) in a for loop.
>>>
>>> However, this doesn't work since the GUI editor always comes up so that I have
>>> to manually close it down before the next one can start. By looking on this
>>> forum and google, there is apparently no way to shut the editor vai the command
>>> line...(is that right?)
>>>
>>> So, the only other way I thought about is to use the file queue in the editor.
>>> Is there a way of using that feature from the command line ?
>>>
>>> Cheers and many thanks in advance !
>>> David
>>>
>>>
>> Why start end exit POV-Ray for each file?
>>
>> You can just launch POV-Ray before you start the loop, then, in the
>> loop, initiate each render.
>>
>> You only have to close POV-Ray once an the end.
>>
>>
>> Alain
>
>
> Yes, what you are saying makes sense... so how would you do that exactly ? How
> would you "initiate each render" in the previously opened instance of povray ?
>
>  From what I gathered, the only executable/command available is pvengine.exe and
> this will start a new instance of povray by default each time it's called...
>
>
>

In POV-Ray Menu|Options. Check "Keep Single Instance"

That way, each new call will reuse the same instance. At the last call, 
you just add the /exit switch. You may also manualy close POV-Ray once 
the batch has finished.


Alain


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.