POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Library_Path in Povray.ini - A bug, a feature, or just a stupid user...? Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Library_Path in Povray.ini - A bug, a feature, or just a stupid user...? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Jo Lannig
Subject: Library_Path in Povray.ini - A bug, a feature, or just a stupid user...?
Date: 21 Jan 2003 12:10:06
Message: <web.3e2d7e67852ed464886710e80@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

got the following problem with POV-Ray 3.5 for Windows, looks like a bug to
me:

When using the DOS version I was used to have a set of INI files for some
special tasks like alpha output, different quality settings, radiosity etc.
I put those files into the renderer folder of the latest Windows version,
and I would like to use the required INI file just by putting its name into
the command line field. 'Cause I don't want to always type the whole path
into the command line, I included a Library_Path statement into my
Povray.ini. Well, it doesn't work - I always get the following error
message:
"Possible INI File Error: Could not open INI file
'C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer\alpha.ini'"

BUT: If I enter the same line into quickres.ini, it works - only, of course,
if I select the "correct" resolution... ;-)! It also works, if I enter
"+LC:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer" into the command line prior to the name
of the INI file! I double-checked that povray.ini is really called prior to
quickres.ini and the command line entries. So what is the problem with the
Library_Path in povray.ini? It should be called prior to all other INIs or
the command line options, shouldn't it?

Can anyone confirm that? I tried it on two different machines (one with XP
Pro, one with 2k Pro), same effect.

Well, it's either a bug, or I'm just to blond... ;-)

Bye,
Jo

Post a reply to this message

> BUT: If I enter the same line into quickres.ini, it works - only, of course,
> if I select the "correct" resolution... ;-)! It also works, if I enter
> "+LC:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer" into the command line prior to the name
> of the INI file! I double-checked that povray.ini is really called prior to
> quickres.ini and the command line entries. So what is the problem with the
> Library_Path in povray.ini? It should be called prior to all other INIs or
> the command line options, shouldn't it?

What does POV-Ray display?  It shows you all the library paths it knows in
the output.  Does it show the path you specified?

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>> BUT: If I enter the same line into quickres.ini, it works - only, of course,
>> if I select the "correct" resolution... ;-)! It also works, if I enter
>> "+LC:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer" into the command line prior to the name
>> of the INI file! I double-checked that povray.ini is really called prior to
>> quickres.ini and the command line entries. So what is the problem with the
>> Library_Path in povray.ini? It should be called prior to all other INIs or
>> the command line options, shouldn't it?
>What does POV-Ray display?  It shows you all the library paths it knows in
>the output.  Does it show the path you specified?

Yes, it does - but don't ask me why... ;-)
OK, here some more information:

povray.ini (in POV-Ray\renderer):
[...]
Library_Path=C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer
Library_Path=C:\Programme\POV-Ray\INCLUDE
Library_Path=C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
[...]

Entry at the command line field:
alpha (to call the file "alpha.ini" in POV-Ray\renderer

Rendering any file with these settings results in this messages:
[...]
Possible Command Line Error: Could not open INI file 'Alpha'.
Parsing Options
  Input file: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Jochen\Eigene
Dateien\POV-Ray\Scenes\Test 01.pov (compatible to version 3.5)
  Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
  Library paths: C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer
    C:\Programme\POV-Ray\INCLUDE C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
[...]

If I put the line "Library_Path=C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer" into
quickres.ini (e.g. into the "160x120, No AA" section), it works. Same
library paths shown in the message window, of course. And it also works, if
I enter "+LC:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer alpha" into the command line
instead of the single "alpha". Doesn't make any sense to me. I would be
glad if you observed the same, otherwise I'd better see a doctor... ;-)

cu,
Jo

Post a reply to this message

Sorry, for whatever reason my reply started as a new thread...
I'd better use a newsreader instead of the web interface... ;-)

Post a reply to this message

"Jo Lannig" <Fly### [at] gmxnet> wrote in message
> Thorsten Froehlich wrote:
>
> >What does POV-Ray display?  It shows you all the library paths it knows
in
> >the output.  Does it show the path you specified?
>
> Yes, it does - but don't ask me why... ;-)
>
> If I put the line "Library_Path=C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer" into
> quickres.ini (e.g. into the "160x120, No AA" section), it works. Same
> library paths shown in the message window, of course. And it also works,
if
> I enter "+LC:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer alpha" into the command line
> instead of the single "alpha". Doesn't make any sense to me. I would be
> glad if you observed the same, otherwise I'd better see a doctor... ;-)

I do, Jo.

The INI file name on the command line isn't working without a path. I tried
what you did, putting the ini someplace associated by a library path. POV
sees the command line okay, just doesn't know what to do with the ini file,
or so it would seem. Somebody knowing the programming for that would have to
confirm why not, if it is a bug.

Thorsten had asked me too if there was a path shown in the message stream, I
say no because the library path certainly shows no matter what anyhow. I
figured he meant was there any indication of the INI path besides that. I
could be wrong about what was being asked.

Post a reply to this message

> Rendering any file with these settings results in this messages:
> [...]
> Possible Command Line Error: Could not open INI file 'Alpha'.
> Parsing Options
>   Input file: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Jochen\Eigene
> Dateien\POV-Ray\Scenes\Test 01.pov (compatible to version 3.5)
>   Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
>   Library paths: C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer
>     C:\Programme\POV-Ray\INCLUDE C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> [...]

Ah, OK, I think I found what is wrong.  Include paths in povray.ini are not
be searched.  This will be fixed in POV-Ray 3.51.

> Sorry, for whatever reason my reply started as a new thread...
> I'd better use a newsreader instead of the web interface... ;-)

No, you didn't start a new thread.  It is just displayed a bit differently
based on the subject line only in the web interface.  And that is somehow
cut off at the end.  In newsreaders it will still be shown as thread
correctly as they use a different way to match threads (only the good
newsreaders of course).

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

"Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> > Rendering any file with these settings results in this messages:
> > [...]
> > Possible Command Line Error: Could not open INI file 'Alpha'.
> > Parsing Options
> >   Input file: C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Jochen\Eigene
> > Dateien\POV-Ray\Scenes\Test 01.pov (compatible to version 3.5)
> >   Remove bounds........On  Split unions........Off
> >   Library paths: C:\Programme\POV-Ray\renderer
> >     C:\Programme\POV-Ray\INCLUDE C:\WINDOWS\Fonts
> > [...]
> Ah, OK, I think I found what is wrong.  Include paths in povray.ini are
not
> be searched.  This will be fixed in POV-Ray 3.51.

Uh, to be honest, I have no clue what you mean... ;-)
But why DOES it work if I specify the library path somewhere else instead of
povray.ini, e.g. quickres.ini, which is called immediately after povray.ini
(at least according to my File Monitor)? OK, for now that is some kind of
work-around I can live with... ;-)

> > Sorry, for whatever reason my reply started as a new thread...
> > I'd better use a newsreader instead of the web interface... ;-)
> No, you didn't start a new thread.  It is just displayed a bit differently
> based on the subject line only in the web interface.  And that is somehow
> cut off at the end.  In newsreaders it will still be shown as thread
> correctly as they use a different way to match threads (only the good
> newsreaders of course).

Realized that after trying Outlook Express (ok, I know that is absolutely
NOT what you meant with "good newsreaders"... <g>). Sorry, anyway... ;-)

And thnx for your really quick answers - the speed of light isn't a limit
for you, is it...? ;-)

Bye,
Jo

--
Jochen Lannig
First Officer Boeing 737

Post a reply to this message

> Uh, to be honest, I have no clue what you mean... ;-)
> But why DOES it work if I specify the library path somewhere else instead of
> povray.ini, e.g. quickres.ini, which is called immediately after povray.ini
> (at least according to my File Monitor)? OK, for now that is some kind of
> work-around I can live with... ;-)

Internally povray.ini is handled a bit different from all other INI files.
That implementation would cause the code that later searches for INI files
to overlook those existing directories.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > Uh, to be honest, I have no clue what you mean... ;-)
> > But why DOES it work if I specify the library path somewhere else
instead of
> > povray.ini, e.g. quickres.ini, which is called immediately after
povray.ini
> > (at least according to my File Monitor)? OK, for now that is some kind
of
> > work-around I can live with... ;-)
> Internally povray.ini is handled a bit different from all other INI files.
> That implementation would cause the code that later searches for INI files
> to overlook those existing directories.

OK, got it now. So I'll wait for v3.51 and use quickres.ini for that purpose
until then.

Once again, thnx! :-)

CU,
Jo