POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Not using all CPU Server Time
29 Mar 2024 11:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Not using all CPU (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Not using all CPU
Date: 10 Jan 2021 01:55:45
Message: <5ffaa4f1$1@news.povray.org>
I just got a new PC with an i5 10400.

I noticed that Povray for Windows is only using 35% of the CPU. The load
does seem spread across multiple cores however.

Why isn't Povray using more CPU?

Thanks.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Not using all CPU
Date: 12 Jan 2021 11:34:52
Message: <5ffdcfac$1@news.povray.org>
Le 10/01/2021 à 07:55, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> I just got a new PC with an i5 10400.
>
> I noticed that Povray for Windows is only using 35% of the CPU. The load
> does seem spread across multiple cores however.
>
> Why isn't Povray using more CPU?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Mike

How many core do you have now ?
Have you any WT setting in your ini ?

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 12 Jan 2021 17:29:54
Message: <5ffe22e2$1@news.povray.org>
6 physical cores
12 logical cores

What is "WT"? Thanks.

Mike

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Jan 2021 05:55:20
Message: <5ffed198$1@news.povray.org>
Le 12/01/2021 à 23:29, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> 6 physical cores
> 12 logical cores
>
> What is "WT"? Thanks.

WT is working thread; the number of thread uses by the engine to trace.

+WT1 forces to use a single thread.

IIRC, windows is not very cooperative in its scheduler, so using all the
cores might be dangerous.
Also, did you check if you have any "thermal" tuning (I do not know if
that change make it in the production version, it was done for
space-ship usage). It might be all in the menu part.

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-01-13 à 05:55, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 12/01/2021 à 23:29, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> 6 physical cores
>> 12 logical cores
>>
>> What is "WT"? Thanks.
>>

> WT is working thread; the number of thread uses by the engine to trace.
>
> +WT1 forces to use a single thread.
>
> IIRC, windows is not very cooperative in its scheduler, so using all the
> cores might be dangerous.
> Also, did you check if you have any "thermal" tuning (I do not know if
> that change make it in the production version, it was done for
> space-ship usage). It might be all in the menu part.

As long as you don't set the priority to high, you should set WT to the
actual number of logical cores.
For 6 cores with 12 logical cores, you should use +wt12.
Also, by default, POV-Ray version 1.7 and later is be set to use all the
logical cores present. At least, that's the case on my computer.

Yes, the «duty cycle» is present since version 1.6. It can be set from
10% to 100% in 10% increments, and yes, it was implemented for use on
the ISS.

What can make your CPU time go lower could be thermal throttling. This
can happen if there is to much dust in the heat sink of the CPU. It
should be cleaned at least once a year, more if you are in a dusty
environment.

Some other possible causes would be another CPU hungry process running,
or memory use getting to high and swapping start happening.

Post a reply to this message