POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available Server Time
3 Mar 2024 14:15:35 EST (-0500)
  Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available (Message 1 to 10 of 33)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Chris Cason
Subject: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 23 May 2009 09:18:26
Message: <4a17f7a2@news.povray.org>
Folks,

I've generated a v3.62 RC1 POVWIN and new installer. I'd appreciate it if
some of you could test it as the installer in particular is a re-write.

  http://www.povray.org/temp/POVWin-v3.62-RC1.msi

Note: on Vista systems, the files will be installed by default to your
local profile. On XP and earlier, the default remains Program Files.

-- Chris


Post a reply to this message

From: StephenS
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 23 May 2009 14:50:00
Message: <web.4a1844aa3e2c17459677c2120@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote:
....
> I'd appreciate it if
> some of you could test it as the installer in particular is a re-write.
....
Installed and ran without issue, WinXP sp3 media center edition.

Looking through the changes I see the new +ac/Antialias_Clipped option,
interesting :-)

Stephen S


Post a reply to this message

From: BobH
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 24 May 2009 00:40:56
Message: <4a18cfd8$1@news.povray.org>
Um, I will say great thing first and thank you Chris.

You did say in Vista it will go into the user profile... I'm in Windows 7 RC 
(build 7100) and I thought it might be the same way you have it for the 
POV-Ray beta, going into the documents folder with a POV-Ray parent folder 
in there.
This install turned out like earlier P-R betas and went into AppData\roaming 
so the scene files are hidden away. Hopefully not something to do with 
already having the old 3.6.1c in Program Files.

BTW the old POV-Ray icon sure would look better if done like the beta, 
smooth alpha AA. I use the appearance difference to my advantage, of course, 
but I guess we will need to keep them both different and nice-looking...? 
;)

P.S.
I had looked at the install log when asked and noticed at the end it 
mentions a reboot = yes. Nothing asked or happened at the end so I restarted 
Windows 7 but before I did I found the Explorer (user folders and files) 
wasn't allowing me to change settings to show hidden files. Also a padlock 
over the user name icon. Could be my ineptitude about this particular thing 
but thought I better mention it.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 24 May 2009 08:25:12
Message: <4a193ca8$1@news.povray.org>
BobH wrote:
> You did say in Vista it will go into the user profile... I'm in Windows 7 RC 
> (build 7100) and I thought it might be the same way you have it for the 
> POV-Ray beta, going into the documents folder with a POV-Ray parent folder 
> in there.

Nope, it was too much work to split the program locations in v3.6, it's an
old code base. This is really just a maintenance release to get it working
on Vista.

> This install turned out like earlier P-R betas and went into AppData\roaming 
> so the scene files are hidden away. Hopefully not something to do with 
> already having the old 3.6.1c in Program Files.

Nope, nothing to do with that. It does create a shortcut to the scene files
on the desktop, though.

> BTW the old POV-Ray icon sure would look better if done like the beta, 
> smooth alpha AA. I use the appearance difference to my advantage, of course, 
> but I guess we will need to keep them both different and nice-looking...? 

Which icon didn't come out well? The program itself, the shortcuts, or the
menu items?

> I had looked at the install log when asked and noticed at the end it 
> mentions a reboot = yes. Nothing asked or happened at the end so I restarted 

Not sure why that's there, must be some installshield thing that sets up a
reboot if required. However certainly for POVWIN it's not needed.

> Windows 7 but before I did I found the Explorer (user folders and files) 
> wasn't allowing me to change settings to show hidden files. Also a padlock 
> over the user name icon. Could be my ineptitude about this particular thing 
> but thought I better mention it.

Thanks for mentioning it. While I can't explain what that would be caused
by, I'd be surprised if it was the installation.

-- Chris


Post a reply to this message

From: BobH
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 24 May 2009 18:43:56
Message: <4a19cdac$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in 
message news:4a193ca8$1@news.povray.org...
> BobH wrote:
>> You did say in Vista it will go into the user profile... I'm in Windows 7 
>> RC
>> (build 7100) and I thought it might be the same way you have it for the
>> POV-Ray beta
>
> Nope, it was too much work to split the program locations in v3.6

Ok, just wasn't sure what was meant before.

> It does create a shortcut to the scene files on the desktop

Yep, got that... :) wondering if naming it 3.6 instead of 3.62 might confuse 
people.

>> BTW the old POV-Ray icon sure would look better if done like the beta,
>> smooth alpha AA. I use the appearance difference to my advantage, of 
>> course,
>> but I guess we will need to keep them both different and nice-looking...?
>
> Which icon didn't come out well? The program itself, the shortcuts, or the
> menu items?

Program. A "jaggy" perimeter causing an ugly gray and black edge. Well, ugly 
compared to the new 3.7 one and compared to most other programs.
Main point being different icons will be needed or else there's no visual 
cue to know which is which, not that it matters if a previous 3.6 version is 
present.
Maybe you don't need to see them but I'll post at p.b.i  those two icons 
from my Vista's recent programs list.

Oh, and install into Vista went perfectly fine just haven't checked actual 
changes yet. No news will be good news on that.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 25 May 2009 08:21:06
Message: <4a1a8d32@news.povray.org>
BobH wrote:
> Program. A "jaggy" perimeter causing an ugly gray and black edge. Well, ugly 
> compared to the new 3.7 one and compared to most other programs.

This should be fixed now. Please try again, filename is now:

  http://www.povray.org/temp/POVWin-v3.62.msi

Unless problems crop up I intend this to be the actual release (hence no RC
suffix).

-- Chris


Post a reply to this message

From: BobH
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 25 May 2009 12:21:12
Message: <4a1ac578@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in 
message news:4a1a8d32@news.povray.org...
> BobH wrote:
>> Program. A "jaggy" perimeter causing an ugly gray and black edge. Well, 
>> ugly
>> compared to the new 3.7 one and compared to most other programs.
>
> This should be fixed now. Please try again, filename is now:
>
>  http://www.povray.org/temp/POVWin-v3.62.msi
>
> Unless problems crop up I intend this to be the actual release (hence no 
> RC
> suffix).

Looks good! The install asked me to uninstall the previous one so that 
answers a question I was wondering as to whether or not a backup was 
possible same as earlier 3.6 installs. Guessing the idea is clean installs 
only...?

Got to say it... program and scene file location is bothersome to me.
Going into the desktop shortcut and running a file from there or dragging it 
into POV does okay, yes, but when trying to open a file from within POV it 
wants to go elsewhere and the hidden scenes location is lost. I presume this 
is in part due to the install finding the file open location where 3.6.1c 
was last at.

This is worsened by Vista not allowing folder and file view settings to be 
changed (same as what happened in Windows 7) so getting to the new location 
is impossible at first. I thought maybe having a file opened from the 
desktop shortcut would update the File|Open but it didn't.

I'm sure this particular aspect would be good to hear observations from 
other people not just me.

I've only tried several renders, all seems right so far.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 25 May 2009 12:39:42
Message: <4a1ac9ce$1@news.povray.org>
BobH wrote:
> This is worsened by Vista not allowing folder and file view settings to 
> be changed 

Press the ALT key, and you get all the XP menus back. There's also a hack to 
turn it on permanently.

-- 
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   There's no CD like OCD, there's no CD I knoooow!


Post a reply to this message

From: BobH
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 25 May 2009 15:09:55
Message: <4a1aed03$1@news.povray.org>
"Darren New" <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote in message 
news:4a1ac9ce$1@news.povray.org...
> BobH wrote:
>> This is worsened by Vista not allowing folder and file view settings to 
>> be changed
>
> Press the ALT key, and you get all the XP menus back. There's also a hack 
> to turn it on permanently.

Not here, although I think I know what you meant Darren.
What I'm seeing happen in the File|Open dialog is just the Organize 
drop-down with the "folder and search options" inaccessible. ALT doesn't 
change anything here.

To get back into AppData\Roaming\POV-Ray\v3.6\Scenes I must first change the 
"view hidden files" setting outside of POV to see it in the open file 
dialog.

Both Vista and 7 are like this for me. Interestingly, I did have the hidden 
path in the folder path drop-down list while in Vista, yet not in 7. Just 
wasn't thinking of looking there before.

So I'm still believing this could be trouble because navigating away from 
these hidden files (while files are set to be hidden, the default) then 
later try to return it becomes likely you won't be able to use the open file 
menu to get there until changing to view hidden files again (outside POV, as 
said already).

Hope I'm making sense.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Test version of POVWIN version 3.62 available
Date: 25 May 2009 15:28:09
Message: <4a1af149$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <del### [at] deletethistoopovrayorg> wrote in 
message news:4a1a8d32@news.povray.org...
> BobH wrote:
>> Program. A "jaggy" perimeter causing an ugly gray and black edge. Well, 
>> ugly
>> compared to the new 3.7 one and compared to most other programs.
>
> This should be fixed now. Please try again, filename is now:
>
>  http://www.povray.org/temp/POVWin-v3.62.msi
>
> Unless problems crop up I intend this to be the actual release (hence no 
> RC
> suffix).
>
> -- Chris

Hi Chris,

The install went smoothly on Vista 64 but it intalled the 32 bit version 
rather than the 64 bit version. I presum the 64 bit compile will be made 
available in a different dowload package once you have time to put it 
together?

Ken Tyler


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.