POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Dried-Up Desert Texture Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Dried-Up Desert Texture (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Chris Harrison
Subject: Dried-Up Desert Texture
Date: 3 Feb 2000 17:08:45
Message: <3899FC63.8E258F28@ChrisHarrison.co.uk>
I have created a pretty swanky texture which simulates how a desert or
river-bed dries and crackles up. However, it is a skin texture (which I
have applied to a plane): and where the cracks are, you can see through
it. What I am trying to achieve are extruded segments, so that the
surface has depth.
As far as I know, all POV textures are skin textures - so, whatever
transformations I do to them, I assume that they will always remain as
skin textures (i.e. although I have it on a plane, a 2D surface;
applying it to a huge cube, and transforming the texture so it has depth
in the appropriate axis won't do me much good). I tried doing the
upside-down ground fog trick (underneath a hollow plane), but that
didn't work at all.

Other than using a height map (which is just kinda inconvenient for the
scale I'm talking about), I can't think of anyway to do this... Does
anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks :^)

Chris Harrison
http://www.ChrisHarrison.co.uk/