POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Win NT 4.0 Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:58 EDT (-0400)
  Win NT 4.0 (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: News
Subject: Re: Dual-CPU machines (was Re: Win NT 4.0)
Date: 22 Sep 1999 23:20:22
Message: <37e99c76@news.povray.org>
John,

how do you set up the camera to be able to split up the image rendering
without any parallax or perspective changes?

I had thought about doing this before, but could not figure it out.

Stephan

John M. Dlugosz <joh### [at] dlugoszcom> wrote in message

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> >

> > "John M. Dlugosz" wrote:
> > >
> > > Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> > >
> > > I use two CPUs and have some experience, so I'll give it a shot if
> you're
> > > interested.
> > >
> > > --John
>
> On the use of POV-Ray for Win32 with multiple CPU's
>
> The POV-Ray rendering engine is a single thread of execution, so when I
run
> it on my dual Pentium Pro (running NT4) the CPU indicator only goes up to
> about 50%.  POV doesn't use more than half the available power on the
> machine.
>
> That's the basic issue, though to quibble a bit it's not exactly true:
the
> rendering engine soaks up one whole CPU, but the editor runs on its own
> thread, and operating system functions (writing to the file, updating the
> display, network activity, system background tasks) run on different
> threads.  This gives a little bit of a bonus, and the system uses as much
as
> 54% of available MIPS when I watch it.  More importantly, the machine is
> still highly responsive, and editing or other applications continue on
> without being sluggish.
>
> But for a long render, it's annoying to have one CPU be mostly idle.  What
> can be done to cut rendering time in half (from 20 hours down to 10, for
> example)?
>
> The simplest thing is to run two copies of POV on the machine.  Have one
> copy render the top half, and the other render the bottom half.  Then
paste
> the halves together in your picture editor.
>
> One thing to watch out for:  don't just fire up two copies and point them
at
> the same INI file and image file.  They will overwrite each other's output
> and make a big mess.  Instead, you must make sure each is writing to a
> different file.
>
> For moderate renders, I'll let one copy chug away on the long render, and
> use a second copy interactivly to continue development in POV.
>
> --John

Post a reply to this message

> how do you set up the camera to be able to split up the image rendering
> without any parallax or perspective changes?

Maybe you use the partial render feature you find in the documentation?

     Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

It has nothing to do with the camera.  Use +SR and +ER options.

News <bul### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message news:37e99c76@news.povray.org...
> John,
>
> how do you set up the camera to be able to split up the image rendering
> without any parallax or perspective changes?
>
> I had thought about doing this before, but could not figure it out.
>
> Stephan

Post a reply to this message