POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: I've lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!!! Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I've lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!!! (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Chuck Roberts
Subject: Re: I've lost 2000 + images HELP !!!!!!
Date: 18 Aug 1999 13:10:07
Message: <37BAE92A.5EDE8AE5@accn.org>
Ouch Ken. Therein lies your problem. You used a compressed drive. When
compression programs (for drives) came out a few years ago, the net was
abuzz with horror stories. The best thing is not to use them at all. BUy
a new hard drive, it's worth the money and you get less frustration. You
won't get those program crashes caused by an uninitialized null pointer
that Microsoft is famous for.

Ken wrote:

> *The problem:
>
>     I am the victim of microsofts scandisk program and have had an
> entire hard drive wiped out. 20% of the files I could care less about
> but the other 80% were image files and many of them irreplacable.
> Over 1300 POV-Ray rendered images now lost. I don't have to
> tell you people how long it would take to re-render that many scenes.
>
> *What caused it:
>
>     While running scan disk it reported that one copy of the fat file
> was not the same as the other. I have had this happen before and went
> ahead and allowed it to correct the error. Upon rebooting, this was a
> compressed drive, drivespace found an error and started scandisk again.
> to make a long story short what I have now is the entire contents
> of the compressed drive now stored as files with the name--
> filechek.001 filechek.002 ect. It didn't bother seperating the files out
> of the directories, Which would have made it easy to just rename the files
> and use them, it instead stored the entire directories as file names.
>
> *The solution:
>
> This is where I need your help. Can anybody think of a way to
> recover the images from the directories that have been renamed
> as files. Is there any way to rename a file so the system will recognize
> it as a directory instead. If I could do this then the files would become
> accessable again but I have no clue how to do this.
> Should I mail bomb Microsoft headquarters and just be satisfied with that ?
>
> Please any and all help would be forever appreciated. Any image you ever
> post for evaluation will get a glowing response from me. I will agree with
> all the opinions you ever express in this group. Any tips, tricks, leads to
> helful information, voodoo remedies, black magic, utility suggestions,
> or anything else you can recommend will bring you eternal peace and my
> heartfelt thanks.
>
> Thank You for your time and patience.
>
> Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:11:06 -0400, Chuck Roberts wrote:
>Ouch Ken. Therein lies your problem. You used a compressed drive.
[...]

Chuck, Are you aware that the message you're following up to is almost a
year old?

> On Wed, 18 Aug 1999 13:11:06 -0400, Chuck Roberts wrote:
> >Ouch Ken. Therein lies your problem. You used a compressed drive.
> [...]
>
> Chuck, Are you aware that the message you're following up to is almost a
> year old?
>
> Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 14:18:38 -0700

A painful reminder the likes of which I could have done without :(
Woe is me.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 700+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: