POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV TTF files same as windows TTF? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:23:19 EDT (-0400)
  POV TTF files same as windows TTF? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Chuck Roberts
Subject: POV TTF files same as windows TTF?
Date: 17 Sep 1999 11:29:58
Message: <37E25ECD.44DE782@accn.org>
Are POV TTF files the same as Windows TTF files? If not, where can I get
a conversion util?

Post a reply to this message

From: TonyB
Subject: Re: POV TTF files same as windows TTF?
Date: 17 Sep 1999 12:27:31
Message: <37e26bf3@news.povray.org>
AFAIK, yes. The only problem is that the official POV won't accept certain
characters above a certain value in the ASCII character chart thingy. You'll
need to use alternate patches (SuperPatch, Unicode POV, etc.) to access the
full spectrum. Even then, it's not complete yet (asian fonts, etc.).

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:22:24 -0400, TonyB wrote:
>AFAIK, yes. The only problem is that the official POV won't accept certain
>characters above a certain value in the ASCII character chart thingy. You'll
>need to use alternate patches (SuperPatch, Unicode POV, etc.) to access the
>full spectrum. Even then, it's not complete yet (asian fonts, etc.).

I beg to differ.  Unicode is practically all about Asian fonts.  Understanding
UTF-8 without an editor that speaks it natively can be a chore, though.

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:22:24 -0400, TonyB wrote:
> >AFAIK, yes. The only problem is that the official POV won't accept certain
> >characters above a certain value in the ASCII character chart thingy. You'll
> >need to use alternate patches (SuperPatch, Unicode POV, etc.) to access the
> >full spectrum. Even then, it's not complete yet (asian fonts, etc.).
>
> I beg to differ.  Unicode is practically all about Asian fonts.  Understanding
> UTF-8 without an editor that speaks it natively can be a chore, though.

There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I've gotten back to fixing my UniPatch. By then end of the weekend it should be
done and handling most fonts really well. And in a consisitent manner
cross-platform.

As for the UTF-8, I'm planning to do a simple macro to convert Unicode values to
UTF-8 to feed to it. That, along with
http://charts.unicode.org/Unicode.charts/normal/Unicode.html should get you most
of what you need.

Oh, and if you want to see if it works for Asian fonts, check out the sample on
the old patch home page.
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/unipatch/

--
"My new computer's got the clocks, it rocks
But it was obsolete before I opened the box" - W.A.Y.