POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : DXF to POV? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:34:18 EDT (-0400)
  DXF to POV? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: barj
Subject: DXF to POV?
Date: 22 Jun 1999 22:20:02
Message: <37704408.77506A4C@rocketmail.com>
Hi. I have a bit of a dilemma.  I've been working in a CAD program, that
I just won in a contest.  And the problem is that it will only export to
DXF.  Well..others, but DXF is the most common.  And POVRAY won't open
it.

So I got a program to convert DXF to POV. But I have another problem.
Povray requires a Camera object in the 3d scene.  My CAD program does
not use camera's.

Can someone give me some help to what I can do to solve this problem.

Thank you.

barj
bar### [at] rocketmailcom

Post a reply to this message

>Hi. I have a bit of a dilemma.  I've been working in a CAD program, that
>I just won in a contest.  And the problem is that it will only export to
>DXF.  Well..others, but DXF is the most common.  And POVRAY won't open
>it.
>
>So I got a program to convert DXF to POV. But I have another problem.
>Povray requires a Camera object in the 3d scene.  My CAD program does
>not use camera's.
>
>Can someone give me some help to what I can do to solve this problem.

My solution to this problem is to open the converted file in POV-Ray and put
in a camera that, for starters, is at a location such as <1000,1000,1000>
and looking at the origin.  Then, I move the camera around to where I want
it.  I also usually put a light_source in at <0,100000000000000,0> or so, to
provide some general illumination before figuring out where to put
individual lights.

Mark