POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: INFO: difference between POV-Ray versions Server Time
28 Jul 2024 08:31:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: INFO: difference between POV-Ray versions (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: INFO: difference between POV-Ray versions
Date: 23 Apr 1999 16:09:33
Message: <3720c56d.0@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:39:11 -0400, Hassoun Karam <has### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:
>what is the difference between the " POV-Ray for Windows 3.1" and
>"POV-Ray v3.1e for Windows 95/98/NT "? does the 3.1 stand for the
>Windows version in the first label?

Nope, they're both POV versions.  As far as I know, there was never
a version of POV-Ray specifically for any 16-bit Windows operating
system.  I would guess that the first is either an older version of
POV, or it's a more generic reference to the current crop of minor
versions.  In what context do you see these two labels?

Post a reply to this message

> On Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:39:11 -0400, Hassoun Karam <has### [at] sympaticoca> wrote:
> >what is the difference between the " POV-Ray for Windows 3.1" and
> >"POV-Ray v3.1e for Windows 95/98/NT "? does the 3.1 stand for the
> >Windows version in the first label?
>
> Nope, they're both POV versions.  As far as I know, there was never
> a version of POV-Ray specifically for any 16-bit Windows operating
> system.  I would guess that the first is either an older version of
> POV, or it's a more generic reference to the current crop of minor
> versions.  In what context do you see these two labels?

 I have seen this come up once before. I think the misunderstanding
is the revision number itself. If you miss placing a "v" infront
of the 3.1 people are so used to the MS Windows v3.1 and all of the
products marketed for it they assume this is a build of Pov-Ray for
Windows v3.1 rather than a build of Pov-Ray v3.1 for Windows 95/98.

This is the assumption I have made and the one I am sticking with for now.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net