POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Heightfield utilities Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield utilities (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Julius Klatte
Subject: Heightfield utilities
Date: 7 Jan 1999 19:23:53
Message: <36955019.0@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I'm looking for some utilities that can help me with the
making of high resolution heightfields.

I already got my hands on Leveller and HF-Lab, but Leveller
is not very good at /creating/ nice heightfields (in my
opinion, or am I missing something?) and I'm too lazy to
study all the commands that HF-Lab needs for a
not-too-random heightfield. Now, some people have mentioned
frac... what is it called again? (the fractal program). I
ran the DOS version once, but it was hell. Maybe the windows
version is ok?

I do not object to any suggestions :)

Julius
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 http://surf.to/jkhome      - for pov tutorials, macro's,
textures...
 http://surf.to/uagalleries - United Artists Galleries

"God loves stupid people. That's why he made so many."

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for some utilities that can help me with the
> making of high resolution heightfields.
>
> I already got my hands on Leveller and HF-Lab, but Leveller
> is not very good at /creating/ nice heightfields (in my
> opinion, or am I missing something?) and I'm too lazy to
> study all the commands that HF-Lab needs for a
> not-too-random heightfield. Now, some people have mentioned
> frac... what is it called again? (the fractal program). I
> ran the DOS version once, but it was hell. Maybe the windows
> version is ok?
>
> I do not object to any suggestions :)
>
> Julius

Personaly I think you are selling Leveller short. I have found for myself
that it is the premier height field modeler for pov on the market today.

The fractal program's name is fracint ?.

There is a windows version but I don't have the url handy.
If you want it and the url for another I like let me know and
I'll dig them up for you somehow

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

I agree -- Leveller lacks adequate algorithms.

Check out Wilbur.  There are links from http://twysted.net/ .

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/