POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Re: Rock Generator Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rock Generator (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Jim Kress
Subject: Re: Rock Generator
Date: 11 Sep 1998 12:43:16
Message: <35f94514.0@news.povray.org>
One way to reduce the size of the files is to decimate the object (i.e.
reduce the number of triangles).  This can be done without significantly
altering the way the object looks.  For the work I have been doing (see the
thread 'scientific use of povray') I routinely generate objects with tens to
hundreds of thousands of triangles (via my isosurfacing program) and then
reduce those to a few thousand (or hundred) triangles with no appreciable
loss of object quality.  The program I use is called QSLIM.  It can be found
at

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~garland/quadrics/qslim.html

It is designed specifically to give the highest possible reduction in
triangle count with a minimum of object distortion.

Jim

<SNIP!>