POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Povray/Moray Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Povray/Moray (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: M
Subject: Povray/Moray
Date: 28 Aug 1998 05:01:31
Message: <35e663db.0@news.povray.org>
New to the subject, would anyone explain the main difference between Povray
and Moray. I am trying to figure out which one to use for creating a metal
like logo :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: K  Tyler
Subject: Re: Povray/Moray
Date: 28 Aug 1998 05:29:33
Message: <35E65BF5.2A9934E@pacbell.net>
M wrote:

> New to the subject, would anyone explain the main difference between Povray
> and Moray. I am trying to figure out which one to use for creating a metal
> like logo :-)

Greetings M !

    Moray is strictly a modeling program. It allows you to visually
see on your screen the objects and how to place them. It does not
have the ability built into it to actually render a photo realistic image.

    POV-Ray is essentially a Rendering engine. That is to say it reads
a standard text formatted "scene" file and takes the information it
contains and produces a photo realistic image.

Moray has the ability to write these text based scenes that POV-Ray
uses to produce an image.

    In order to use Moray you must have POV-ray on your system
or another program called Polyray. Polyray is another script
driven raytracing engine. To use POV-Ray you do not have to
have Moray on your system. POV-Ray is free Moray isn't.

    Moray 3.0 for windows now has the ability to call POV-Ray
and automatically render the image without having to leave the
program. This is attractive to many people just starting out.

    You will also find a large faction of people like myself who
have taken the time to learn the scripting language of POV-Ray
and can actually describe very complex looking images in a
standard text editor. There are definite advantages to taking
the time to learn the POV-Ray scripting language. Foremost
of these is the fact that POV-Ray has so many features available
there is no one modeling program that supports all the features
POV-Ray has to offer.

    POV-ray is still an evolving program and currently is in a
beta testing period for another officially released update that
offers powerful new features to the program. If you have
any programming experience you will feel at home with many
of the math operatives that POV-ray now supports in it's
scene description language. It will be quite a while before
Moray can catch up with all the new features that POV-Ray
now supports.

    If you go through the learning curve of the POV-Ray scripting
language there is nothing Moray can do that you can't do yourself
in POV-Ray.

    You'll find no matter which way you decide to go that once
you get your metal letters looking the way you want you will be
hooked on POV-Ray for life.

Hope this answers your question adequately.

K.Tyler