POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : New TreeDesigner Beta available Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:35 EDT (-0400)
  New TreeDesigner Beta available (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Johannes Hubert
Subject: New TreeDesigner Beta available
Date: 7 Feb 1998 14:33:07
Message: <34DCB6F3.D375DF1F@penttech.com>
Hi everybody!

A new beta version of TreeDesigner is available at:

http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/TreeDesigner/Download/Download.html

Some bugs that have been reported are fixed (especially one that caught
only W95 users). Also the OpenGL code has been streamlined. Because of
this those of you that had problems with TreeDesigner needing too much
memory (a problem that really lies in the OpenGL routines) might now
have a chance to run it properly.
For a list of fixed bugs and improved features check out:
http://www.algonet.se/~jhubert/TreeDesigner/Download/Revision.html

But most important: TreeDesigner is now!
For three reasons:
1. I have decided not to release the debug version (as in the first
beta), since the difference in performance between the release and the
debug version is just too large. The version you can download now is
only in one aspect different from a "real" release version: It still
contains "Asserts" (but those do not slow it down very much).
2. As I said the OpenGL code has been streamlined, this affects the
speed too.
3. I now use multiple threads for the hard work of recalculating and
repainting. On different computers I have measured spead-improvements
from 20%-150% between the singe- and multithreaded solutions. The best
improvement can be found on those computers where OpenGL is slow (the
speed of OpenGL again is very much influenced by your display hardware
and drivers).

I will soon compile a little FAQ on the TreeDesigner site too. So if you
have any questions right now that you think could also very likely be
interesting to other people, send them now.

As well as any other sort of opinion or suggestions you might have. All
feedback is welcome and will be promptly answered to.

Greetings, Johannes.