 |
 |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
following question:
How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
in the noise3d function?
I think that someone once said that pov used an unorthodox interval in
setting up its noise, something like [0,1.0] when the rest of the world
uses [-0.5,0.5], or vice versa.
If this were the case, could one simply change a half dozen CHARACTERS
and fix the problem?
Noise3d is my favorite function for a number of reasons, and those
plateaus are bugging me!
_________________
Greg M. Johnson
povray is the only programming language I know.
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 10:26:24
Message: <38d794a0$1@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:17:07 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
>following question:
>
>How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
>in the noise3d function?
It's not a question of how hard it would be, it's a question of how many
scene files it would break.
--
These are my opinions. I do NOT speak for the POV-Team.
The superpatch: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/
My other stuff: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: TonyB
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 10:48:04
Message: <38d799b4@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
>It's not a question of how hard it would be, it's a question of how many
>scene files it would break.
But, you (programmers) have always said that you could add something for
backward compatibility. Why don't you just fix it and add a #version thingy
to use the old noise?
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Greg M Johnson
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 12:30:04
Message: <38d7b19c@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
How about calling it noise3d2, noisepf, noisegmjipitn, noiseII, coolnoise ?
While I am truly appreciative of the giants who have given us this thing
called povray, I'd guess plateaus broke more scenes than a change would
break.
Ron Parker wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:17:07 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
> >following question:
> >
> >How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
> >in the noise3d function?
>
> It's not a question of how hard it would be, it's a question of how many
> scene files it would break.
>
> --
> These are my opinions. I do NOT speak for the POV-Team.
> The superpatch: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/
> My other stuff: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 15:59:17
Message: <38d7e2a5@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanews com> wrote...
> We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
> following question:
>
> How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
> in the noise3d function?
>
7 lines of code (plus comments). ...and then some parser stuff for adding
backwards compatibility.
Could be fewer, but I was going for code clarity. :-)
-Nathan
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Greg M Johnson
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 17:15:22
Message: <38D7F37A.58E14AB4@my-dejanews.com>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
So how 'bout a noise3dg(x,y,z) for v. 0.5?
Nathan Kopp wrote:
> Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanews com> wrote...
> > How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
> > in the noise3d function?
>
> 7 lines of code (plus comments). ...and then some parser stuff for adding
> backwards compatibility.
>
> Could be fewer, but I was going for code clarity. :-)
>
> -Nathan
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
In article <38D7F37A.58E14AB4@my-dejanews.com>,
gre### [at] my-dejanews com wrote:
> So how 'bout a noise3dg(x,y,z) for v. 0.5?
"g" meaning what?
I personally would prefer rnoise(v) and rnoise3d(x,y,z).(Meaning
raw-noise and raw-noise3d. Of course, the one dimensional version isn't
really necessary, you could just use the same value for x, y, and z or
set two of them to a fixed value, I just think it would be good to have.)
--
Christopher James Huff
Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoo com
TAG(Technical Assistance Group) e-mail: chr### [at] tag povray org
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: JR McConnell
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 21 Mar 2000 18:13:40
Message: <38d80224$1@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
I am not any form of expert on this or any subject for that matter. So,
please understand my naivete on this subject. I am worried that I may just
be wasting other people’s time with this message, but want to help if I can.
Up to recently I have been a programmer, of 20 years experience in
non-related subjects, before my disability put a period on the end of my
career. As I read the quoted message, I began to think, as I would back
then. I wondered if the following was possible. I know the people here are
the true experts and will know the feasibility of my idea in an instant. I
hope they will correct me if wrong, just not too harshly...
I would approach this problem by creating a global variable, an optional
arg to the command, or ini/inc file entry. So legacy POV programs
using/requiring the older form of the variable data is unaffected. This
would be because the default value will remain the original value. In
addition, those wishing a different one can just add the optional arg, set
the global, or make an ini/inc file entry.
I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Nevertheless, hope it will
help. There may be another way to do it that I, do to my lack of knowledge
of POV, do not know...
"Ron Parker" <ron### [at] povray org> wrote in message
news:38d794a0$1@news.povray.org...
> On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:17:07 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> >We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
> >following question:
> >
> >How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
> >in the noise3d function?
>
> It's not a question of how hard it would be, it's a question of how many
> scene files it would break.
>
> --
> These are my opinions. I do NOT speak for the POV-Team.
> The superpatch: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch/
> My other stuff: http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/traces.html
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 18:16:24 -0500, "JR McConnell" <sno### [at] home com>
wrote:
> I would approach this problem by creating a global variable, an optional
>arg to the command, or ini/inc file entry. So legacy POV programs
>using/requiring the older form of the variable data is unaffected. This
>would be because the default value will remain the original value. In
>addition, those wishing a different one can just add the optional arg, set
>the global, or make an ini/inc file entry.
The creators of POV-Ray, more precisely those responsible for the
#version directive, must have been thinking along the same lines :)
> I do not know if this is a good idea or not. Nevertheless, hope it will
>help. There may be another way to do it that I, do to my lack of knowledge
>of POV, do not know...
As Tony suggested, making sure that #version 3.1; uses the old method
should suffice. I too hate to see them plateaus with height fields and
normals and would love to have them gone.
Peter Popov
pet### [at] usa net
ICQ: 15002700
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Gail Shaw
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 22 Mar 2000 02:20:05
Message: <38d87425@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
Nathan Kopp wrote in message <38d7e2a5@news.povray.org>...
>
>Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanews com> wrote...
>> We have all discussed the issue many times without answering the
>> following question:
>>
>> How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
>> in the noise3d function?
>>
>
>7 lines of code (plus comments). ...and then some parser stuff for adding
>backwards compatibility.
>
>Could be fewer, but I was going for code clarity. :-)
>
Would that also remove the plateaus from the bozo pattern?
Gail
********************************************************************
* gsh### [at] monotix co za * Reality.dat not found *
* http://www.rucus.ru.ac.za/~gail/ * Attempting to reboot universe *
********************************************************************
* Document program code? Why do you think it's called code? *
********************************************************************
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: Nieminen Juha
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 22 Mar 2000 04:25:56
Message: <38d891a4@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
TonyB <ben### [at] panama c-com net> wrote:
: But, you (programmers) have always said that you could add something for
: backward compatibility. Why don't you just fix it and add a #version thingy
: to use the old noise?
That's not always a good solution. If you want to use the texture in
a newer scene, you wouldn't be able to use new features.
--
main(i,_){for(_?--i,main(i+2,"FhhQHFIJD|FQTITFN]zRFHhhTBFHhhTBFysdB"[i]
):5;i&&_>1;printf("%s",_-70?_&1?"[]":" ":(_=0,"\n")),_/=2);} /*- Warp -*/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
In article <38d891a4@news.povray.org>, Nieminen Juha
<war### [at] sarakerttunen cs tut fi> wrote:
> That's not always a good solution. If you want to use the texture in
> a newer scene, you wouldn't be able to use new features.
Not necessarily, you could keep the old noise functions and have the
parser use them or their replacements depending on what the #version is
set to at the time of parsing. For example, internally there would be
two bozo functions, one for old versions and one for newer versions.
They would both be very similar and would use the same keyword, just the
new one wouldn't have plateaus, and they would be chosen depending on
the #version value.
--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoo com
TAG(Technical Assistance Group) e-mail: chr### [at] tag povray org
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
In article <38d87425@news.povray.org>, "Gail Shaw"
<gsh### [at] monotix co za> wrote:
> Would that also remove the plateaus from the bozo pattern?
If it just modifies the noise function(which it sounds like it does, I
don't know how else it would fit into 7 lines), it would fix the bozo
pattern.
> * Document program code? Why do you think it's called code? *
:-)
Can't really argue with that reasoning...
--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoo com
TAG(Technical Assistance Group) e-mail: chr### [at] tag povray org
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
From: TonyB
Subject: Re: How many lines of code: eliminate plateaus in noise3d by interval change
Date: 22 Mar 2000 10:20:25
Message: <38d8e4b9@news.povray.org>
|
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
>Christopher James Huff
Is this the first time you put up your whole name? I hadn't noticed it until
now, if you had put it up before. Cool name. Do your friends call you CJ, or
Chris?
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
In article <38d8e4b9@news.povray.org>, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panama c-com net> wrote:
> >Christopher James Huff
>
> Is this the first time you put up your whole name?
It probably is, although it might be mentioned somewhere on my web page.
I don't use my middle name much.
> I hadn't noticed it until now, if you had put it up before. Cool
> name. Do your friends call you CJ, or Chris?
I usually go by Chris. I don't think many of my friends even know what
my middle name is.
Online, I usually just go by Chris Huff or Chris H, and especially on
this server(which seems to have a large number of other people named
"Chris"), it is a good idea to indicate *which* Chris you are talking
to/about.
--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoo com
TAG(Technical Assistance Group) e-mail: chr### [at] tag povray org
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
On 21 Mar 2000 10:26:24 -0500, ron### [at] povray org (Ron Parker)
wrote:
>On Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:17:07 -0500, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>>How *hard* would it be to "fix" pov to eliminate the plateuas that exist
>>in the noise3d function?
>
>It's not a question of how hard it would be, it's a question of how many
>scene files it would break.
On the other hand, how many scene files have already been "broken"
(ruined) by the current implementation? Also, how many more scene
files must suffer from this bug before it is corrected?
Later,
Glen Berry
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000 10:18:15 -0500, "TonyB"
<ben### [at] panama c-com net> wrote:
>>Christopher James Huff
>
>Is this the first time you put up your whole name? I hadn't noticed it until
>now, if you had put it up before. Cool name. Do your friends call you CJ, or
>Chris?
I don't think any guy would want to be called CJ. Or don't they show
Baywatch down there? :)
Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] usa net
TAG e-mail : pet### [at] tag povray org
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
In article <y7jaOBW7WG0kYzIQixjKqyDKLiCd@4ax.com>, Peter Popov
<pet### [at] usa net> wrote:
> I don't think any guy would want to be called CJ.
I have never had anyone call me that, like I said, I don't use my middle
name much. I don't think I would like it much...
--
Christopher James Huff - Personal e-mail: chr### [at] yahoo com
TAG(Technical Assistance Group) e-mail: chr### [at] tag povray org
Web page: http://chrishuff.dhs.org/
Post a reply to this message
|
 |
|  |
|  |
|
 |
|
 |
|  |