POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Calling all uv experts... Server Time
11 Oct 2026 02:34:09 EDT (-0400)
  Calling all uv experts... (Message 1 to 20 of 20)  
From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 07:38:49
Message: <37c28377.46981874@news.povray.org>
Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter. I'm currently using
VBA (as found in MS Office programs as well as a slew of others
nowadays) although I'll probably switch to Visual Basic 5 (which I
have lying around and so can install) in the nearish future. It's not
fast, but it IS flexible and easy to use.

OK, right, now then. It's going remarkably well so far. It can convert
an OBJ file exported from Poser4 with normals and - apparently - uv
Mapping data. However, I'm struggling with the uv mapping syntax of
mesh2 OR I'm doing something silly. By default the texture map of the
model I was aiming for doesn't line up at all well. Switching to a
simpler model (a set of stairs) I managed to get the texture to line
up the same (AFAICS) in both Poser and POV by tweaking the image map
statement to translate and scale the texture map thus:

texture_list
    {
        1,
        texture { pigment { image_map { tga "OBJuvPOV.tga" } }
            translate <0.5,0.0,0.0> scale 0.75}
    }

Apologies for the formatting - by default the "texture { pigment ...
0.75}" is all one line and I'm no good at formatting anyway.

However - changing back to the original model and re-testing with the
same parameters - doesn't work. Should the texture be scaled relative
to some aspect(s) of the model's size?

Obviously some of the details are hand-coded - the image map name (for
example) isn't read from the .OBJ (or .MTL) file but I'm using "fixed
parameters" for many things until I'm SURE I've got them working - and
I'm floundering unexpectedly on uv Mapping. If the texture should be
scaled and moved like this then I'm fine - as long as I know why I'm
doing what I'm doing (and how to calculate the relevant
"modifications).

I'm using what I beleive is the latest (3.1e) variant of SuperPatch
POV. Can anyone tell me if the translation and scaling I've applied is
"as intended", or a result of a buglette in SPPOV, or "well it all
works well here" (in which case its probably something to do with my
interpretation of the .OBJ file format).

Curiously, I've compared a few co-ordinates between the output of my
"OBJuvPOV" and "OBJ2POV". While the latter uses smooth triangles and
mine uses the "mesh2" syntax (or tries to) the co-ordinates appear, at
a quick glance, to be near identical (OBJ2POV actually rounds the
co-ordinates up slightly where OBJuvPOV doesn't - at least, not yet).

Help? Anyone? I'm going mad!



Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 11:06:11
Message: <37C2B517.9596A23C@fv.aetec.ee>
Cliff Bowman wrote:
> 
> Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter.
[snip]

Hi!
First I have to say, that I ain't UV expert and don't own Poser, but if
all you want to do is to have Poser=>POVRay conversion, then I believe,
that the solution already exists. Gilles Tran has claimed, that he uses
obj2pov and 3DS2pov to convert Poser objects to POVRay. I guess, that he
exports Poser to 3DS format (although i don't know, whether is it
possible, as I don't have Poser) and then uses 3DS2POV utility to
convert it to mesh2 with all uv information. I think that he is at the
moment on vacation and therefore he can't share his experience. 
I personally have used 3DS2POV for exporting Rhino models to POVRay
quite successfully.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 15:01:00
Message: <37c2ebff.15445907@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 18:07:03 +0300, Vahur Krouverk <vah### [at] fvaetecee>
wrote:

>Cliff Bowman wrote:
>> 
>> Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter.
>[snip]
>
>Hi!
>First I have to say, that I ain't UV expert and don't own Poser, but if
>all you want to do is to have Poser=>POVRay conversion, then I believe,
>that the solution already exists. Gilles Tran has claimed, that he uses
>obj2pov and 3DS2pov to convert Poser objects to POVRay. I guess, that he
>exports Poser to 3DS format (although i don't know, whether is it
>possible, as I don't have Poser) and then uses 3DS2POV utility to
>convert it to mesh2 with all uv information. I think that he is at the
>moment on vacation and therefore he can't share his experience. 
>I personally have used 3DS2POV for exporting Rhino models to POVRay
>quite successfully.

Yup but doesn't have the flexibility I need alas - I need batch
conversion with UV mapping. 3DS to POV does batch conversions - but
Poserd to 3DS introduces texture problems which need hand fixing.

I've a strong impression that the problem is a bug of my making, which
I'm continuing to investigate :(


Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 17:35:36
Message: <37c31028@news.povray.org>
The Problem is that Poser won't export models WITH clothes in 3ds format
correctly.

However export in obj format is perfect.

Getting the uv data to map on to the figures is very hard. I've played with
both rotation( have you tried that Cliff, Both Giles and I found that it was
necessary to turn the uv map upside down!) and scaling with little success.

I hear that Thomas Baier is bringing out a new version of win3d which will
incorporate uv mapping/mesh2 for obj files.

Mick

Vahur Krouverk <vah### [at] fvaetecee> wrote in message
news:37C2B517.9596A23C@fv.aetec.ee...
> Cliff Bowman wrote:
> >
> > Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter.
> [snip]
>
> Hi!
> First I have to say, that I ain't UV expert and don't own Poser, but if
> all you want to do is to have Poser=>POVRay conversion, then I believe,
> that the solution already exists. Gilles Tran has claimed, that he uses
> obj2pov and 3DS2pov to convert Poser objects to POVRay. I guess, that he
> exports Poser to 3DS format (although i don't know, whether is it
> possible, as I don't have Poser) and then uses 3DS2POV utility to
> convert it to mesh2 with all uv information. I think that he is at the
> moment on vacation and therefore he can't share his experience.
> I personally have used 3DS2POV for exporting Rhino models to POVRay
> quite successfully.


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 18:42:17
Message: <37c31fbe.12090262@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 24 Aug 1999 22:33:39 +0100, "Mick Hazelgrove"
<mha### [at] mindaswinternetcouk> wrote:

>The Problem is that Poser won't export models WITH clothes in 3ds format
>correctly.
>
>However export in obj format is perfect.
>
>Getting the uv data to map on to the figures is very hard. I've played with
>both rotation( have you tried that Cliff, Both Giles and I found that it was
>necessary to turn the uv map upside down!) and scaling with little success.

I've reversed the Z co-ordinates (z=-z - or scale <1,1,-1>) which
brings the model over nicely (basically Poser had Z "going the other
way" to POV) but... alas, not much help.

>I hear that Thomas Baier is bringing out a new version of win3d which will
>incorporate uv mapping/mesh2 for obj files.
>
Well - hopefully someone will beat me to it. I just feel about "this"
close and it's a tad frustrating to "miss" at that stage :(


Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 24 Aug 1999 21:19:13
Message: <37c342ac.21033067@news.povray.org>
[snip]

>Getting the uv data to map on to the figures is very hard. I've played with
>both rotation( have you tried that Cliff, Both Giles and I found that it was
>necessary to turn the uv map upside down!) and scaling with little success.
>
[snip]

I think I'm probably going to have to switch to the "mesh" syntax
(instead of mesh2). I've tried the following 2 examples, which I think
should look identical - but they don't. They're wildly different here
(with regard to uv mapping):

mesh2
{
  vertex_vectors
   {
    4,
    <-0.5,-0.5,-0.5>,
    <-0.5,0.5,-0.5>,
    <0.5,0.5,-0.5>,
    <0.5,-0.5,-0.5>
  }
  uv_vectors
  {
    4,
    <0,0>,<0,1>,<1,1>,<1,0>
  }
  texture_list
  {
    1,
    texture { OBJuvPOV_Texture },
  }
  face_indices
  {
    2,
    <0, 1, 2>, 0,
    <0, 2, 3>, 0
  }
}

Doesn't appear the same as:

mesh {

	smooth_triangle {
		<-0.5, -0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1> // Normals just faked
		<-0.5, 0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1>  // Normals just faked
		<0.5, 0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1>   // Normals just faked
		uv_vectors
			<0,0>, <0,1>, <1,1>
	}
	smooth_triangle {
		<-0.5, -0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1> // Normals just faked
		<0.5, 0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1>   // Normals just faked
		<0.5, -0.5, -0.5> <0,0,1>  // Normals just faked
		uv_vectors
			<0,0>, <1,1>, <1,0>
	}
	uv_mapping
	texture { OBJuvPOV_Texture }
}


What's more - the second example renders differently in uvPov (alpha
5) than it does in SuperPatch POV. No - really, it does. It renders
*exactly* as I'd hoped they both would...

Methinks if nothing else I've spotted a problem with SuperPatch
POV...?


Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 25 Aug 1999 13:22:58
Message: <37c41de5.11960634@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 01:20:38 GMT, c.b### [at] cwcomnet (Cliff Bowman)
wrote:

[snip]>
>I think I'm probably going to have to switch to the "mesh" syntax
>(instead of mesh2). 

[snip]

Well I HAVE switched to mesh, tidied my code up a bit (including
renaming some variables - drastically - to make the code easier to
read), found a bug or two and now it's working perfectly. At least, as
far as it's got. Aside from the speed (it's interpreted BASIC so it
runs like glue off a cold shovel - plus my coding's a mess) it's a
slight improvement on OBJ2POV (at least - for me). It produces 2 files
for a given .OBJ - one containing the meshes (an .inc) and a "sampe
scene file" with a camera, couple of lights, and texture declarations.

You don't have to pre-process the .OBJ file, the model is
automatically adjusted to POV orientation (assuming Poser was the
source) and I've a ton of features to write yet.

The source of my problems? Well aside from a few bugs (silly things -
mainly typos exacerbated by poor naming of variables) was that neither
uvPOV not Superpatch POV seem to get on well with adjacent triangles
having their U and V co-ordinates (at the same vertex) wildly
different. This happens a lot with .OBJ files and with both mesh2 and
mesh statements I was trying to make 1 big mesh in the hopes that it'd
be faster. Bad move. Keep the original groupings (and cut existing
groups into subgroups where more than 1 material is used, just to be
on the safe side) and it comes together swimmingly.

Still don't know why uv mapping the mesh syntax works better under
uvPOV than SuperPatch POV though :(

I'll post a test render of the female nude (but cleaned up slightly,
this is a family group after all - I think) at the same time as this
post.

Mick - if you want the code at any stage just holler, but there's
plenty more I want to include *if I can* so it might be worth waiting
until I've either reached at least version 0.5a or (better still) have
an executable Visual Basic 5 version (I don't have VB6 which
supposedly produces faster code than VB5).

However - reasons to wait (or "things I'd like to implement but no
idea if I'll succeed).
Mesh2 format (as an option if nothing else)
Batch conversions for animations (my MAIN reason for writing OBJuvPOV
- vying with the ability not to have to pre-edit the .OBJ files and
post-edit the .POV files)
Read image_map names, and possibly colours and ambience (and whatever
else I can decode and get working) from the .mtl file that Poser
exports along with any .OBJ
Oh - some error handling would be nice. At the moment it pretty much
works with files which are structured exactly as it expects them to be
- I need to build in more exceptions-to-the-rule... for example
sometimes Poser doesn't export vertex, UV AND normal data for a given
"face" but only two (for some objects) - and I'm not sure which two.
Clothes and/or hair seem to be the likely candidates, so I need to do
some delving to double-check what Poser's doing.


However - that lot's going to take some work (with my skill level) so
don't be afraid to holler if you want it "as it is" - whenever.




Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 25 Aug 1999 13:32:39
Message: <37C42882.9C684FC3@pacbell.net>
Cliff Bowman wrote:

> However - that lot's going to take some work (with my skill level) so
> don't be afraid to holler if you want it "as it is" - whenever.
> 
> Cheers,

When you get an executable working in the future let me know and I'll
give it a trial. I have several links to Poser models w/textures and
would like to see how well it works. I too have had some serious problems
with UVmapping and would like to learn how to take advantage of it.
I hear it's supposed to be a high end feature :)

-- 
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 26 Aug 1999 16:16:28
Message: <37c4914b.23403606@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:31:46 -0700, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

[snip]
>
>When you get an executable working in the future let me know and I'll
>give it a trial. I have several links to Poser models w/textures and
>would like to see how well it works. I too have had some serious problems
>with UVmapping and would like to learn how to take advantage of it.
>I hear it's supposed to be a high end feature :)
>
>-- 
You think I'm going to keep mum if I actually put together something
useful for POV? <eg> This'll be this millenium's biggest contribution
from me, I suspect. Certainly the most work (aside from my Dr Who
title animation and that helps no-one but me & mine).

Oh - and pls give me a yell if you find any Poser-ready dinosaurs.
They seem to be low on the ground (well actually one of the pertinent
aspects of dinosaurs was that they stood with their legs below them
rather than splayed out lizard-like - but you know what I mean).

Once you get "the knack" (and IMO you need it) the actual application
of UV mapping is pretty easy. I might need to call on people for help
with some stuff though - like how to impliment Poser's "transparancy
maps" (or whether to rule them out as an option). Still, we'll see.

</dumb question>
You likely to be around this weekend? I hope to have a *BASIC* working
copy by then and feedback would naturally be helpful in developing it
further.
</dumb question>

O-er. Hm... have to write some instructions too I guess.


Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 27 Aug 1999 12:59:52
Message: <37C6C4B5.96F91401@inapg.inra.fr>
Being back from vacation for a few hours, some comments on uv-mapping.
First I'm very happy that it's finally getting the interest of many
people. There are many little problems in all the converters I found so
it's handy to have several of them. Recently I had to remove all the
degenerate triangles from a Poser mesh because the Superpatch refused it
(mesh2 accepted it though) ! It's not a completely straightforward
technique but it's worth it. So many thanks and best of luck for your
converter.
Second, I'm now using 3DS instead of obj. As Mick Hazelgrove reported,
there are some problems involved with the 3DS export plugin in Poser 4
(and 3 in fact), and I reported them to Metacreations. One workaround is
to export the file in the obj format, import it again in Poser and export
it as 3DS. I also noticed the seam problem, but usually adding some color
on the white part of the map fixes it. I like 3DS2pov better though
because it uses the mesh2 syntax, it's easier to use than obj2pov (no need
to change anything in the obj file). Also, I had some problems with animal
textures with obj2pov (the texture was messed up on the animal spine and
on some parts of the flanks) that I do not have with 3DS2pov.
Of course obj export already works fine in Poser so an obj -> mesh 2
converter will be great.

Gilles Tran

Cliff Bowman wrote:

> Hi. I'm trying to write an OBJ to POv converter. I'm currently using
> VBA (as found in MS Office programs as well as a slew of others
> nowadays) although I'll probably switch to Visual Basic 5 (which I
> have lying around and so can install) in the nearish future. It's not
> fast, but it IS flexible and easy to use.
>


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 27 Aug 1999 18:20:06
Message: <37c6fa90.11399768@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 27 Aug 1999 19:02:45 +0200, Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>Being back from vacation for a few hours, some comments on uv-mapping.
>First I'm very happy that it's finally getting the interest of many
>people. There are many little problems in all the converters I found so
>it's handy to have several of them. Recently I had to remove all the
>degenerate triangles from a Poser mesh because the Superpatch refused it
>(mesh2 accepted it though) ! It's not a completely straightforward
>technique but it's worth it. So many thanks and best of luck for your
>converter.

Gilles - where were you while I was finidng out about degenerate
triangles?

Jeesh, some people. Give them a minute and they take a vacation!

The entire impetus behind OBJuvPOV is those little "annoyances" using
other techinques - either existing converters or convoluted
work-arounds. Since I'm more interested in animations than still
images, I *need* to do little or no work to an OBJ in order to reuse
it in POV. So I'm spending days of time writing the converter to save
myself a few minutes... no, seriously, even though it's slow it should
make life much easier for me. I'll hopefully have a test version for
Ken this weekend and if all goes well then the first public beta will
follow shortly. If there's something which would drastically improve a
user's experience of the program then I'm up for potentially including
it - as (as far as I'm concerned) I'm going to be it's #1 user.

There's even been an offer of some assistance in getting my head
around Java - if Java offers significant speed inducements then I'm
all for that (and quite liked what I've seen of the Java language -
just not the compatability issues. But then they're NOTHING as
compared to the VB compatability issues - which only works on
windoze). Maybe I'll try and work on moving this thread over to the
programming group?

[snip]
>Of course obj export already works fine in Poser so an obj -> mesh 2
>converter will be great.
>

Using "mesh" for the moment (largely because I had so many problems
with mesh2 initially - mainly my own, alas).

mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
(the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
of Posers/OBJ's.

BTW I hear you've done some interesting hair... pointers on where to
look up what you've done?

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 10:19:21
Message: <37D3CE06.622EF0D7@inapg.inra.fr>
> mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
> comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
> down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
> (the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
> of Posers/OBJ's.

One reason I use mesh2 is the drastic reduction in both file size and parsing
time (+ some little reduction in memory use). I have a long-delayed project
of an animation involving galloping horses. The gallop cycle would use 30 or
so meshes and I'd like to parse at lease 5 horses simultaneously. For this
kind of project, both batch support and mesh2 support would be handy.

> BTW I hear you've done some interesting hair... pointers on where to
> look up what you've done?

I'm going to disappoint you... The hair I "did" was just a hair mesh from
Poser. The only improvement was to use an alpha channel on the hair map to
simulate individual hair strands by making some of the hair transparent. This
is only possible on meshes with uv mapping of course. Actually, now that
Poser figures have become really usable, one of the big limit is the hair.
I've yet to see mesh hair that are as convincing in close-up as the faces
are. I wonder if it could be possible to use some of the uv mapping info to
grow the hair more precisely (some sort of uv-hair map instead of a color
one). A utility could read the mesh and the map and then produce a hair mesh
according to the map and other options (flow, gravity, interaction with other
body parts). Just dreaming.
Gilles


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 11:21:42
Message: <37D3DBAD.956EE153@pacbell.net>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> 
> > mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
> > comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
> > down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
> > (the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
> > of Posers/OBJ's.
> 
> One reason I use mesh2 is the drastic reduction in both file size and parsing
> time (+ some little reduction in memory use). I have a long-delayed project
> of an animation involving galloping horses. The gallop cycle would use 30 or
> so meshes and I'd like to parse at lease 5 horses simultaneously. For this
> kind of project, both batch support and mesh2 support would be handy.
> 
> > BTW I hear you've done some interesting hair... pointers on where to
> > look up what you've done?
> 
> I'm going to disappoint you... The hair I "did" was just a hair mesh from
> Poser. The only improvement was to use an alpha channel on the hair map to
> simulate individual hair strands by making some of the hair transparent. This
> is only possible on meshes with uv mapping of course. Actually, now that
> Poser figures have become really usable, one of the big limit is the hair.
> I've yet to see mesh hair that are as convincing in close-up as the faces
> are. I wonder if it could be possible to use some of the uv mapping info to
> grow the hair more precisely (some sort of uv-hair map instead of a color
> one). A utility could read the mesh and the map and then produce a hair mesh
> according to the map and other options (flow, gravity, interaction with other
> body parts). Just dreaming.
> Gilles

Colefax has a hair growing macro that works with the PCM compressed mesh
file format. It makes great looking hair and offers the features you
just outlined.

-- 
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 13:38:57
Message: <37D3FC1C.1E61FB6F@peak.edu.ee>
It does great fur, but I don't think it could do human hair that looks realistic
in closeup. There is no interaction and relatively little control over the shape
of the hair...
There are very interesting papers around the net about realistic
computer-generated hair, but I doubt any of them would be applicable in POV
script.

Margus

Ken wrote:
> 
> Colefax has a hair growing macro that works with the PCM compressed mesh
> file format. It makes great looking hair and offers the features you
> just outlined.
> 
> --
> Ken Tyler
> 
> See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 14:01:14
Message: <37D40103.405C7F7A@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:
> 
> It does great fur, but I don't think it could do human hair that looks realistic
> in closeup. There is no interaction and relatively little control over the shape
> of the hair...
> There are very interesting papers around the net about realistic
> computer-generated hair, but I doubt any of them would be applicable in POV
> script.
> 
> Margus

It will do hiar too if you apply yourself. Posted on 05-04-1999 a thread
titled "H" by Ken Tyler shows that you can do hair with Chris's macro.
I did not see you reply to the thread so you may have missed it. I spent
very little time on the hair on that dude and it could have been imporved
upon greatly had I applied myself to it more. Shape control is more of a
problem than length and curving from the top downward. Someone with Gilles
talents would most likely have no problems with it though.

-- 
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 14:05:27
Message: <37D40306.9F5EFA7B@inapg.inra.fr>
One reason I didn't mention it is that though it makes nice grass, fur or
"crew-cut" style of hairdo, it offers no or little control about the way the hair
can flow (apart gravity). Also, there's no way of positionning the hair in a
precise pattern over a mesh, or to have the hair longer in some places etc. This is
not a criticism of Chris' work of course since what the macro does is already
great. It's just that 3d hairdressing requires a little more technology. The best
example of that I've seen recently is the trailer for a video game named Ridge
racer (Playstation), where a anime-style girl has free-flowing hair that follows
the movements of her head. This probably involves particle systems and other higher
technology.
G.

Ken wrote:

> Colefax has a hair growing macro that works with the PCM compressed mesh
> file format. It makes great looking hair and offers the features you
> just outlined.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 6 Sep 1999 16:12:13
Message: <37D42007.A73BE683@peak.edu.ee>
And fine hair it is indeed.
But there are only a few haircuts you can do like this: the 'pot' (?) you
displayed and whatever you call the army hairdo. A pretty decent hippie haircut
might also be possible... But I doubt you can go far beyound that. And when
animated it will simply look fake. Long hair is a modelling nightmare.
As I said, there are methods to include hair-by-hair collision detection, hair
dynamics etc. But they are beyond what even Chris Colefax can be expected do
with current POV script (a somewhat risky statement, I admit).

Margus

Ken wrote:
> 
> It will do hiar too if you apply yourself. Posted on 05-04-1999 a thread
> titled "H" by Ken Tyler shows that you can do hair with Chris's macro.
> I did not see you reply to the thread so you may have missed it. I spent
> very little time on the hair on that dude and it could have been imporved
> upon greatly had I applied myself to it more. Shape control is more of a
> problem than length and curving from the top downward. Someone with Gilles
> talents would most likely have no problems with it though.
> 
> --
> Ken Tyler
> 
> See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html


Post a reply to this message

From: Cliff Bowman
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 7 Sep 1999 13:23:36
Message: <37d545f7.80371370@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 06 Sep 1999 16:21:58 +0200, Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr>
wrote:

>> mesh2 to be included after someone other than me has passed some
>> comments on the program. I want to get the "OBJ to Cliff" conversion
>> down pat first. Now I'm comfortable with uvPOV's UV implimentation
>> (the first I ever encountered BTW) I need to maximise my understanding
>> of Posers/OBJ's.
>
>One reason I use mesh2 is the drastic reduction in both file size and parsing
>time (+ some little reduction in memory use). I have a long-delayed project
>of an animation involving galloping horses. The gallop cycle would use 30 or
>so meshes and I'd like to parse at lease 5 horses simultaneously. For this
>kind of project, both batch support and mesh2 support would be handy.
>
Well Poser .OBJ to Cliff (and thence to mesh) I have about down pat
now I think (although I haven't finished investigating the materials
file) and batch processing too (virtually a necessity for the Lip
synch test). But I'm having trobule with the mesh2 format when I had
another bash at it "yesterday" (6 Sept 1999)  - any chance I can take
this to e-mail and bug the hell out of you? <eg> There's something I'm
not understanding about the format, and the annoying thing is - I
don't know what it is I don't know!

I've generated a "simple cube" in mesh2 format that I thought should
place an image fully on each side - but doesn't. Far from it. If all I
need is a tweak or two in my understanding then there are significant
file size savings to be made using mesh2 :)

BTW if you've already got the VB5 runtime installed (Win98, or any
other VB5 program installed) then you're welcome to become one of a
select few brave souls doing pre-beta testing and commentary. There's
a brief list of "hopes" for the program in the minimal documentation,
and if I ever crack mesh2 then I'll make the program available in the
utilities group long before it's "finished" to my satisfaction - as
that day will probably never come (projects aren't finished, just
abandoned). Without the VB5 runtime it should come in at around 108KB
zipped (plus whatever I get written between now and then - it's only
recently leapt to 108K from 87K due to additional code). If you're
wondering how finished it is then - not at all really. But it's
working pretty well with Poser4 .OBJ models for single files or
batches to standard uvPOV meshes - and I haven't heard of any bugs
ropping up lately "in the field" (in this case since it isn't released
yet the field in question is more like a back garden, but you get my
drift I'm sure).




Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at http://www.who3d.cwc.net/


Post a reply to this message

From: Vahur Krouverk
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 8 Sep 1999 08:18:24
Message: <37D6545D.758DAAEE@fv.aetec.ee>
Gilles Tran wrote:
> 
> One reason I didn't mention it is that though it makes nice grass, fur or
> "crew-cut" style of hairdo, it offers no or little control about the way the hair
> can flow (apart gravity). Also, there's no way of positionning the hair in a
> precise pattern over a mesh, or to have the hair longer in some places etc. This is
> not a criticism of Chris' work of course since what the macro does is already
> great. It's just that 3d hairdressing requires a little more technology. The best
> example of that I've seen recently is the trailer for a video game named Ridge
> racer (Playstation), where a anime-style girl has free-flowing hair that follows
> the movements of her head. This probably involves particle systems and other higher
> technology.
> G.
> 
I've tried Colefax macro for creating hairs too. While it's relatively
easy to create short (or "afrotype") hairs, I haven't had success with
long hairs: they look rather like "explosion in macaroni drilling
departement" than realistic hairs.

BTW, another good example of moving hairs could be seen in 
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/pages/home/pages/galleries/pages/alias_wavefront/pages/chris_landreth/
Look at first animation.
Only catch here is, that Maya (or Alias) costs around $8000.00. A little
bit too pricey for hobbist.


Post a reply to this message

From: Gilles Tran
Subject: Re: Calling all uv experts...
Date: 8 Sep 1999 13:55:38
Message: <37D6A3BF.A644C1@inapg.inra.fr>
This is exactly the kind of 3D hair I was thinking of.
BTW, it is quite satisfying to see that the other pics in the Wavefront galleries are
not so impressive
after all. Some of the effects certainly can't be done in POV, but in most cases it's
in the range of
what a "advanced  POV user" could do (if you forget about development/render time of
course...).
Conclusion : POV is a good bargain.
G.

Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> BTW, another good example of moving hairs could be seen in
>
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/pages/home/pages/galleries/pages/alias_wavefront/pages/chris_landreth/
> Look at first animation.
> Only catch here is, that Maya (or Alias) costs around $8000.00. A little
> bit too pricey for hobbist.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.