POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally) Server Time
11 Oct 2026 07:33:16 EDT (-0400)
  ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally) (Message 1 to 17 of 17)  
From: Ron Parker
Subject: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 9 Jun 1999 22:01:29
Message: <37601862.153631033@news.povray.org>
Okay, y'all have waited long enough, I guess.

I've finally got something that looks like a superpatch online
at http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch .  There's a Windows binary
and a copy of the current source code (including Linux and SunOS
makefiles, courtesy of Hans Detlev-Fink, and the set of VC6 project
files that I use to build with.)  There might even be a Linux glibc2
binary (both povray and x-povray) as well, though I don't know for
sure whether they'll work as expected.  I'd appreciate feedback on
that.  Anyone who would like to mirror these files may feel free to do
so, and if you would like to contribute a binary for your favorite OS,
please feel free to contact me to arrange for delivery.  

Hopefully I'll have a real web page sometime soon, too.  Won't that be
nice.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 9 Jun 1999 22:38:56
Message: <375F227B.5FCC6F@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:
> 
> Okay, y'all have waited long enough, I guess.

Mr. Parker,

  Allow me to be the first to thank you for your hard work and diligence
for offering such a powerful patched version of Pov-Ray and the contribution
it makes to this community and the art form it represents.


-- 
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net


Post a reply to this message

From: H E  Day
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 00:57:34
Message: <375F44EF.58EB@teleport.com>
I second.

H.E. Day


Post a reply to this message

From: Alan Kong
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 02:37:57
Message: <37615d0a.10016311@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 02:01:41 GMT, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:

>I've finally got something that looks like a superpatch online
>at http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch .

  Thank you, Ron. Very much appreciated.

-- 
Alan
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.povray.org - Home of the Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer
news.povray.org - where POV-Ray enthusiasts around the world can get
together to exchange ideas, information, and experiences with others
--------------------------------------------------------------------


Post a reply to this message

From: Marc Schimmler
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 02:51:54
Message: <375F608A.E1710D9@ica.uni-stuttgart.de>
Thank you very much, Sir!

Time to make your provider nervous! :-)

All the Best,

Marc
-- 
Marc Schimmler


Post a reply to this message

From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 03:37:32
Message: <375f6b3c@news.povray.org>
Thankyou Ron for all your hard work - much appreaciated.

Mick


Post a reply to this message

From: Fabien Mosen
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 07:01:28
Message: <375F9A9F.D42D3A2F@skynet.be>
Thank you very much, it looks like lots of fun for some weeks...

It seems to have a problem, however : the program crashes EVERYTIME
a ray hits a reflective object.  I tried different combinations for
a very simple scene, but it keeps happening.  Does others have the
problem ?

Fabien.


Post a reply to this message

From: ingo
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 08:25:39
Message: <375faec3@news.povray.org>
Fabien Mosen heeft geschreven in bericht <375F9A9F.D42D3A2F@skynet.be>...
>It seems to have a problem, however : the program crashes EVERYTIME
>a ray hits a reflective object.  I tried different combinations for
>a very simple scene, but it keeps happening.  Does others have the
>problem ?


Yes, same here
ingo
--
Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:31:58
Message: <375fbe4e@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:59:43 +0200, Fabien Mosen wrote:
>Thank you very much, it looks like lots of fun for some weeks...
>
>It seems to have a problem, however : the program crashes EVERYTIME
>a ray hits a reflective object.  I tried different combinations for
>a very simple scene, but it keeps happening.  Does others have the
>problem ?

Oops.

This is why we test after we add a new feature.  Unfortunately I forgot 
to do that after I added metallic reflection.  I've got a fix which I'll 
put online this evening.  Any other bugs I should be looking for?

I really need to automate that regression testing...


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:33:46
Message: <375FBBF9.A7F1E0A4@pacbell.net>
Ron Parker wrote:

> I really need to automate that regression testing...

Funny that's what my shrink keeps saying.

-- 
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Huff
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:45:45
Message: <375FC273.12E7D4F2@compuserve.com>
Is anyone planning on doing a Mac version? Even a quick-and-dirty
compile, without features such as syntax coloring for the new keywords
etc.


Post a reply to this message

From: Alex Vandiver
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 09:47:47
Message: <375FC0B8.9CEB2C63@tiac.net>
> Any other bugs I should be looking for?

You might want to poke at the camera code; Camera Ray Perturbation, as the
docs put it, causes at least the Windows version to die ungracefully..
-Alex Vandiver


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 10:12:44
Message: <375fc7dc@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:42:17 +0200, Alex Vandiver wrote:
>> Any other bugs I should be looking for?
>
>You might want to poke at the camera code; Camera Ray Perturbation, as the
>docs put it, causes at least the Windows version to die ungracefully..

Wow, that's an old one.  It came with the slope-dependent textures
code.  I'll have it fixed this evening too.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bob
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 10:13:11
Message: <375FC7D6.6D830BAE@aol.com>
And to think all this time I thought this custom compiled POV-Ray making stuff was
easy.
Thankyou from me too Ron.


Alex Vandiver wrote:
> 
> > Any other bugs I should be looking for?
> 
> You might want to poke at the camera code; Camera Ray Perturbation, as the
> docs put it, causes at least the Windows version to die ungracefully..
> -Alex Vandiver

-- 
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
  http://members.aol.com/inversez/homepage.htm
 mailto://inversez@aol.com?Subject=PoV-News


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 19:09:30
Message: <37604567.230703667@news.povray.org>
On 10 Jun 1999 09:31:58 -0400, par### [at] fwicom (Ron Parker) wrote:
>I've got a fix which I'll put online this evening.

Patched versions of the source and of the windows binary are online
now.  The Linux binary will have to wait until my old 486 finishes
compiling it, but the source is there to build your own if you're 
in a hurry.

http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 20:03:58
Message: <3760504d.233493400@news.povray.org>
And for my next trick...

The Linux binary is online now too.  Enjoy!

http://www2.fwi.com/~parkerr/superpatch


Post a reply to this message

From: Simon de Vet
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 20:33:43
Message: <37605999.98A8DCD0@istar.ca>
Chris Huff wrote:

> Is anyone planning on doing a Mac version? Even a quick-and-dirty
> compile, without features such as syntax coloring for the new keywords
> etc.

Actually, this version doesn't colour code the new keywords either, making
me keep thinking I spelled something wrong :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 21:22:21
Message: <37606454.238621935@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:34:33 -0300, Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca>
wrote:

>
>
>Chris Huff wrote:
>
>> Is anyone planning on doing a Mac version? Even a quick-and-dirty
>> compile, without features such as syntax coloring for the new keywords
>> etc.
>
>Actually, this version doesn't colour code the new keywords either, making
>me keep thinking I spelled something wrong :)

Well, I'm doing what I can about that one.  Looking at the read-only
source to cmedit.dll that's included with the windows source, it seems
as though it would be easy enough to move the keyword-highlighting
code into the executable where it could be changed.  That's a job for
the POV-Team, though.  The suggestion has been passed along.


Post a reply to this message

From: Dan
Subject: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 21:28:52
Message: <3760673A.CDB7D510@earthlink.net>
Sorry to be so obtuse, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what this
superpatch does, or how I'm supposed to install it....

Thanks for any info....

Dan

Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:34:33 -0300, Simon de Vet <sde### [at] istarca>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> >Chris Huff wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone planning on doing a Mac version? Even a quick-and-dirty
> >> compile, without features such as syntax coloring for the new keywords
> >> etc.
> >
> >Actually, this version doesn't colour code the new keywords either, making
> >me keep thinking I spelled something wrong :)
>
> Well, I'm doing what I can about that one.  Looking at the read-only
> source to cmedit.dll that's included with the windows source, it seems
> as though it would be easy enough to move the keyword-highlighting
> code into the executable where it could be changed.  That's a job for
> the POV-Team, though.  The suggestion has been passed along.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 10 Jun 1999 21:34:11
Message: <3761670c.239317743@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:32:42 -0400, Dan <sei### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

>Sorry to be so obtuse, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what this
>superpatch does, or how I'm supposed to install it....

The documentation and installation instructions are in the archive.
I'll be building a webpage soonish, I hope.  I just wanted to get it
online so Ken would stop bugging me. :)  

Here's a section from the docs:

 What is the Superpatch?

          The Superpatch is an unofficial build of POV-Ray.
          Like many unofficial builds, it adds new features
          to POV.  However, the Superpatch is intended to
          fulfill a loftier goal than merely to offer new
          features.  The goal of the Superpatch is to offer
          as many features as possible in a single
          unofficial build, allowing you to use the new
          features from a diverse collection of unofficial
          builds in a single package.

          The Superpatch was conceived and executed by Ron
          Parker, par### [at] fwicom, but it contains the work 
          of a great many people...

          The Superpatch is an UNOFFICIAL build of POV-Ray
          and is not supported by the POV-Team.


Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 11:55:26
Message: <376676DC.7E60A8CC@geocities.com>
I'm not sure what you mean by "in the archive."

Are there new features?

Does this release simply have all of the "Superpatch for 3.1a" features, but with
bug fixes relative to 3.1e?  I'm satisfied (perhaps a great understatement) with
3.1a Superpatch, and ain't interested in a new version unless there are new
features.



Ron Parker wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:32:42 -0400, Dan <sei### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>
> >Sorry to be so obtuse, but I can't seem to find any documentation on what this
> >superpatch does, or how I'm supposed to install it....
>
> The documentation and installation instructions are in the archive.
> I'll be building a webpage soonish, I hope.  I just wanted to get it
> online so Ken would stop bugging me. :)
>
> Here's a section from the docs:
>
>  What is the Superpatch?
>
>           The Superpatch is an unofficial build of POV-Ray.
>           Like many unofficial builds, it adds new features
>           to POV.  However, the Superpatch is intended to
>           fulfill a loftier goal than merely to offer new
>           features.  The goal of the Superpatch is to offer
>           as many features as possible in a single
>           unofficial build, allowing you to use the new
>           features from a diverse collection of unofficial
>           builds in a single package.
>
>           The Superpatch was conceived and executed by Ron
>           Parker, par### [at] fwicom, but it contains the work
>           of a great many people...
>
>           The Superpatch is an UNOFFICIAL build of POV-Ray
>           and is not supported by the POV-Team.


Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 12:31:32
Message: <37667D0D.7A82A9FD@pacbell.net>
"Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
> 
> I'm not sure what you mean by "in the archive."
> 
> Are there new features?
> 
> Does this release simply have all of the "Superpatch for 3.1a" features, but with
> bug fixes relative to 3.1e?  I'm satisfied (perhaps a great understatement) with
> 3.1a Superpatch, and ain't interested in a new version unless there are new
> features.
> 

Of course there are new features. A few bugs fixed as well. It also supports
the new editor dll of Pov v3.1e so makes it more comaptible with the current
official version of Pov. The download is under a meg so why wait ?

-- 
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 12:36:23
Message: <37668107@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:53:00 -0400, Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>I'm not sure what you mean by "in the archive."

The zip file.  Documentation is in the zip file.

>Are there new features?

Yes.  Four new warps (planar, cylindrical, toroidal, and spherical), metallic 
reflection, the unicode patch, light groups (for controlling interactions 
between objects and lights), projected_through (for "shaping" light beams), a 
new isosurface function that uses any built-in pigment as a basis 
(coincidentally allowing you to create a pigment-based surface without any 
height_field artifacts), and a more recent UV patch, together with a pile of 
bugfixes such as making blobs work with trace(), making perturbed cameras not 
crash, making the patch work with the 3.1e editor, and of course all the 
official 3.1e fixes.

Still conspicuous by their absence are the photon mapping patch, the 
dispersion patch, and the unlimited light patch.

Sorry for leaving all this out of the announcement, but most of it has been 
discussed at one time or another around here so I made the obviously 
incorrect assumption that people were tired of hearing about it. :)


Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 15:04:37
Message: <3766a3c5@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <37668107@news.povray.org>...
<snip>
>crash, making the patch work with the 3.1e editor, and of course all the
>official 3.1e fixes.
<snip>

The patch does work alongside the 3.1e editor, but it seems the superpatch
editor itself is still the 3.1a version (i.e. timer continues after
rendering has been paused).  There isn't a way to take advantage of the
windows/editor specific bugfixes in 3.1e when using the superpatch I assume?
(Since only the DOS 3.1e bugfixes have been included...?)

Am I right in thinking this?

/\/\/\//


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 15:18:37
Message: <3766a70d@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:03:00 +0100, Matthew Bennett wrote:
>Ron Parker wrote in message <37668107@news.povray.org>...
><snip>
>>crash, making the patch work with the 3.1e editor, and of course all the
>>official 3.1e fixes.
><snip>
>
>The patch does work alongside the 3.1e editor, but it seems the superpatch
>editor itself is still the 3.1a version (i.e. timer continues after
>rendering has been paused).  There isn't a way to take advantage of the
>windows/editor specific bugfixes in 3.1e when using the superpatch I assume?
>(Since only the DOS 3.1e bugfixes have been included...?)
>
>Am I right in thinking this?

You are correct.  The Windows 3.1e source code has not been released.
The only thing that makes it possible for you to use the 3.1e editor
with the superpatch is an unusally unreliable undocumented unsupported 
hack.


Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:45:39
Message: <3766d793@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker wrote in message <3766a70d@news.povray.org>...
>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 20:03:00 +0100, Matthew Bennett wrote:
>>Ron Parker wrote in message <37668107@news.povray.org>...
<snip>
>>The patch does work alongside the 3.1e editor, but it seems the superpatch

<snip>
>>Am I right in thinking this?
>
>You are correct.  The Windows 3.1e source code has not been released.
>The only thing that makes it possible for you to use the 3.1e editor
>with the superpatch is an unusally unreliable undocumented unsupported
>hack.

Ahh, ok - thanks for the information - I thought there must have been a good
reason why not :)
It's a bit out of character for the POV team not to release source code
though isn't it... or has it something to do with the fact that part of
their editor has been developed by someone else?...

/\/\/\//


Post a reply to this message

From: Ron Parker
Subject: Re: Uh, what does this superpatch do? (was)Re: ANNOUNCE: New Superpatch available for download (finally)
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:39:10
Message: <3766e251.76841728@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:26:36 +0100, "Matthew Bennett"
<ben### [at] btinternetcom> wrote:

>It's a bit out of character for the POV team not to release source code
>though isn't it... or has it something to do with the fact that part of
>their editor has been developed by someone else?...

I asked about that myself a while back.  The reason I was given is
that Chris Cason, the primary Windows guy on the Team, has been
working hard on getting us this nice shiny new server and generally
facilitating the Team's move from CompuServe.  I can certainly respect
that, and I don't begrudge him whatever spare time he has remaining.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.