POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Poll: Any Build Problems? Server Time
9 Dec 2023 10:55:42 EST (-0500)
  Poll: Any Build Problems? (Message 11 to 16 of 16)  
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages
From: jhu
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 10 Mar 2016 16:55:00
Message: <web.56e1ecce1b22abe41d0974180@news.povray.org>
William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> On 03/10/2016 01:22 AM, jhu wrote:
> > "clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >> We've been having problems with the Unix build process in the past, often
> >> related to the boost libraries. I'm wondering where we're at with these issues
> >> right now with the current master branch.
> >>
> >> If the 3.7 build process has ever failed to work "out of the box" for you (i.e.
> >> strictly following the baseline build instructions described in `unix/README`),
> >> I'd love to hear from you:
> >>
> >> - What variant of Unix are you using?
> >> - What version of the boost library are you using?
> >>
> >> - Does the official stable 3.7.0.0 build "out of the box" on your system?
> >> Otherwise, what problems do you encounter, and how (if at all) do you manage to
> >> get it to build?
> >>
> >> - Does the current master 3.7.1-alpha.8344773 build "out of the box" on your
> >> system? Otherwise, what problems do you encounter, and how (if at all) do you
> >> manage to get it to build?
> >>
> >> - Any other observations?
> >>
> >>
> >> (Please do NOT reply if the 3.7 build process has always worked perfectly fine
> >> for you.)
> >
> > Fails at the ./prebuild.sh in the unix/ directory. This is both on FreeBSD 10.2
> > and Debian testing with the official stable 3.7.0.0 build. On both systems I
> > get:
> >
> > configure.ac:302: the top level
> > + cat ./configure
> > + sed -e 's,configure.gnu  --help=recursive,& --srcdir=$ac_srcdir,g' -e 's,\(cd
> > \)\($ac_\)\(pop\)*\(dir\),\1"\2\3\4",g' -e
> > 's,$am_aux_dir/missing,\\"$am_aux_dir\\"/missing,g'
> > + mv -f ./configure.tmp ./configure
> > + chmod +x ./configure
> > + rm -f -r ./autom4te.cache
> > sed: ./Makefile.in: No such file or directory
> >
> > So, it's not generating Makefile.in for some reason.
> >
> >
> >
> Does the suggested fix at the bottom of git issue 54 fix things for your
> 3.7.0-stable build ?
>
> See:  https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/54
>

Yes, that works now. Anyway to commit these changes to the official stable zip
file?


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 13 Mar 2016 10:22:33
Message: <56e577a9$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/10/2016 04:53 PM, jhu wrote:
>> Does the suggested fix at the bottom of git issue 54 fix things for your
>> 3.7.0-stable build ?
>>
>> See:  https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/issues/54
>>
>
> Yes, that works now. Anyway to commit these changes to the official stable zip
> file?
>
>
Christoph asked if the 3.7.1 master branch compiled OK for you as these 
fixes and more have been made there for unix builds. Knowing the current 
3.7.1 works (or not) for you would be useful, aside from anything else 
with 3.7.0-stable, given you are running FreeBSD 10.2 and Debian instead 
of Ubuntu 14* or 15*.

Your question specifically about patching the stable branch prompted me 
to look more into git/github - which is a new control method to me. I 
was able to create a trivial pull request to the master branch for 
another matter as a test and it looks to me like we could patch just the 
stable branch.

It also looks like the developers have NOT made such patches to stable 
for some other unix specific issues. I suppose for wanting to keep 
stable, stable and the lack of resource overall.

The question for the developers is: If I create a 3.7.0-stable specific 
pull request with these unix build fixes (github issue #54), would it be 
merged into the stable branch?

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: jhu
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 14 Mar 2016 00:30:01
Message: <web.56e63def1b22abe4194284cc0@news.povray.org>
William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Christoph asked if the 3.7.1 master branch compiled OK for you as these
> fixes and more have been made there for unix builds. Knowing the current
> 3.7.1 works (or not) for you would be useful, aside from anything else
> with 3.7.0-stable, given you are running FreeBSD 10.2 and Debian instead
> of Ubuntu 14* or 15*.

Does this require git or is there some other method of downloading it?


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 14 Mar 2016 05:25:58
Message: <56e683a6$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/14/2016 12:28 AM, jhu wrote:
> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
>> Christoph asked if the 3.7.1 master branch compiled OK for you as these
>> fixes and more have been made there for unix builds. Knowing the current
>> 3.7.1 works (or not) for you would be useful, aside from anything else
>> with 3.7.0-stable, given you are running FreeBSD 10.2 and Debian instead
>> of Ubuntu 14* or 15*.
>
> Does this require git or is there some other method of downloading it?
>
>

You can use git to grab it:

    git pull https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git master

However, if you go to the https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray web page 
there is a download zip option for the master branch on the right hand 
side about the middle of the page.

One of the very cool things about github is it seems to built the zips 
automatically as the branches get updated.

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 14 Mar 2016 05:35:34
Message: <56e685e6$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/14/2016 05:25 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 03/14/2016 12:28 AM, jhu wrote:
>> William F Pokorny <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>>
>>> Christoph asked if the 3.7.1 master branch compiled OK for you as these
>>> fixes and more have been made there for unix builds. Knowing the current
>>> 3.7.1 works (or not) for you would be useful, aside from anything else
>>> with 3.7.0-stable, given you are running FreeBSD 10.2 and Debian instead
>>> of Ubuntu 14* or 15*.
>>
>> Does this require git or is there some other method of downloading it?
>>
>>
>
> You can use git to grab it:
>
>     git pull https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git master
>
> However, if you go to the https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray web page
> there is a download zip option for the master branch on the right hand
> side about the middle of the page.
>
> One of the very cool things about github is it seems to built the zips
> automatically as the branches get updated.
>
> Bill P.

Hit send (before my coffee...) and it occurred to me if you have not 
done an initial install with git you would need to have run a clone of 
the code repository first to a local directory with :

    git clone https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git

before using any git pull commands to stay current locally with 
particular versions. The above clone will be set to the master branch by 
default.

You can switch versions in your local clone with a command like:

    git checkout origin/3.7-stable

to switch to the stable branch. Still very much learning git myself...

Bill P.


Post a reply to this message

From: dick balaska
Subject: Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
Date: 14 Mar 2016 06:44:58
Message: <56e6962a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2016-03-14 05:35, also sprach William F Pokorny:
> Still very much learning git myself...

I am usually a shell guy (vs gui if possible) but I really like using 
git through SmartGit http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/ .


-- 
dik


Post a reply to this message

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Initial 10 Messages

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.