POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Unable to import povray in python Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:14:52 EDT (-0400)
  Unable to import povray in python (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Florent
Subject: Unable to import povray in python
Date: 7 Nov 2014 08:15:01
Message: <web.545cc4b1b82257bf5fe92c6f0@news.povray.org>
Hello,

The program I use to model particle interactions provides visualization through
povray. Despite my best attempts, I can' import povray into python 2.7.8 on
Ubuntu 14.10:

$  python
Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 20 2014, 15:05:29)
[GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
>>> import povray
Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named povray

I first tried using the prepackaged version from apt-get, then uninstalled it
and manually compiled the github library. Same non-result, but povray seems to
be installed just fine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Florent

Post a reply to this message

> The program I use to model particle interactions provides visualization through
> povray. Despite my best attempts, I can' import povray into python 2.7.8 on
> Ubuntu 14.10:
>
> $  python
> Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 20 2014, 15:05:29)
> [GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>      File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named povray

Um... I'm not a python expert, so I may be misunderstanding things, but
you do know that POV-Ray is just a binary executable, _not_ a python
module..?

Post a reply to this message

> The program I use to model particle interactions provides visualization through
> povray. Despite my best attempts, I can' import povray into python 2.7.8 on
> Ubuntu 14.10:
>
> $  python
> Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 20 2014, 15:05:29)
> [GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named povray
> >>>

> I first tried using the prepackaged version from apt-get, then uninstalled it
> and manually compiled the github library. Same non-result, but povray seems to
> be installed just fine.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated !
> Florent

How we can guess? Where program code?

Post a reply to this message

> The program I use to model particle interactions provides visualization through
> povray. Despite my best attempts, I can' import povray into python 2.7.8 on
> Ubuntu 14.10:
>
> $  python
> Python 2.7.8 (default, Oct 20 2014, 15:05:29)
> [GCC 4.9.1] on linux2
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>     File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
> ImportError: No module named povray
>>>>

> I first tried using the prepackaged version from apt-get, then uninstalled it
> and manually compiled the github library. Same non-result, but povray seems to
> be installed just fine.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated !
> Florent

I'm not going to say RTFM, but bear in mind that subprocess and os are
modules that will help you.

So:
import subprocess, os
			will help

Without further details I can't really help more.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not going to say RTFM, but bear in mind that subprocess and os are
> modules that will help you.
>
> So:
> import subprocess, os
> 			will help
>
> Without further details I can't really help more.
>
> John

Have a look at
http://www.pythonforbeginners.com/os/subprocess-for-system-administrators

This might give a few pointers