POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Confusion about the index of refraction Server Time
30 Apr 2024 00:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Confusion about the index of refraction (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Confusion about the index of refraction
Date: 18 Jul 2012 01:31:09
Message: <50064a1d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.07.2012 02:42, schrieb Chaanakya:

> Does this look like a glass cube?

Your scene lacks a few crucial ingredients that make real-life glass
cubes look like glass cubes rather than thin air:

* Reflections. Use a sky sphere for starters.

* A slightly absorbing material. Use the fade mechanism or media.

* Reflections. Use a less uniform ground texture.

* Shadow effects. Use photons to produce caustics.

* Reflections. Use specular highlighting to make the light source reflect.

* More reflections. Bevel the edges and corners so we can see the light
source reflecting on them.

* Did I mention reflections already? :-P

Even then, real-life glass cubes /do/ tend to look weird. Curved shapes
make much more believable glass objects, even in reality.