POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Latest linux version 3.6.1 still? What about 3.7? Server Time
30 Apr 2024 01:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Latest linux version 3.6.1 still? What about 3.7? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: wealthychef
Subject: Latest linux version 3.6.1 still? What about 3.7?
Date: 24 Nov 2009 20:05:00
Message: <web.4b0c823242985c254a296dd40@news.povray.org>
Hi,
I'm confused -- I am just trying to bring our linux cluster installation up to
date, and it looks like version 3.6.1 is the latest that's out there for Linux.
I see the note about building 3.7 -- is 3.7 actually working?  Should I subject
my users to this, or just wait for an official release, god knows when?  Why is
Linux lagging Windows at 3.6.1 vs. 3.6.2?  Oh, so many questions.  SMP sounds
juicy, but not if it's a serious PITA to use.  The build sounds doable.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm confused -- I am just trying to bring our linux cluster installation up to
> date, and it looks like version 3.6.1 is the latest that's out there for Linux.
> I see the note about building 3.7 -- is 3.7 actually working?  Should I subject
> my users to this, or just wait for an official release, god knows when?  Why is
> Linux lagging Windows at 3.6.1 vs. 3.6.2?  Oh, so many questions.  SMP sounds
> juicy, but not if it's a serious PITA to use.  The build sounds doable.

If you can get it built, the SMP 3.7 beta seems to work well and has been stable
for the straight raytracing I've done.  I can't speak to the performance of the
beta using the more "advanced" features such as radiosity, photon mapping, and
all that jive.

The trick, however, is to get it built.  I posted my notes detailing how I got
3.7 working on the linux Rocks cluster I use at school.

http://wiki.waggy.org/dokuwiki/povray/shamu_install

Please pardon me if these notes are as confused as I am about this.

~David

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 20:02:42 -0500, wealthychef wrote:

> I'm confused -- I am just trying to bring our linux cluster installation
> up to date, and it looks like version 3.6.1 is the latest that's out
> there for Linux. I see the note about building 3.7 -- is 3.7 actually
> working?

3.7 is in beta, regardless of platform.

There are people who have used the 3.7 beta.

Jim