POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Making an MPG or AVI file on Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Making an MPG or AVI file on Linux (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Pyx
Subject: Making an MPG or AVI file on Linux
Date: 8 Aug 2002 20:25:13
Message: <web.3d530bb36ec815d96c145e1f0@news.povray.org>
From Povray Linux version 3.5 in the scenes/animation/boing directory I
typed

povray boing1.ini  +Iboing1.pov  [Enter]

and after a few minutes as predicted I ended up with sixty (60) .png files.

These .png files are viewable individually using ImageMagik's display
utility.

With ImageMagik's convert utility I used

convert boing*.png boing.mng  [Enter]

and as predicted the file boing.mng is viewable using the animate utility
from ImageMagik.

For the past several weeks I've read, re-read and read yet again, hundreds
of man pages from various bits of software including mplayer -0.90pre5-3.1
and mencoder and ffmpeg version 0.45 and mjpegtools and mpeg2enc   I've
compiled and tinkered with quite a few programs and spent what seems to be
an inordinate amount of time, like many others chasing my own tail without
any results.

This has been quite a frustrating experience for something that's supposed
to be a fun hobby. It appears that many others are just as frustrated as I
am. I would recommend any forthcoming answers be included in any relavent
FAQs. I would plead with anyone replying to this question to KEEP YOUR
ANSWER SHORT AND SIMPLE.

Using  only the stock installation of Povray 3.5 and the included demo
boing1.pov and boing1.ini files mentioned above, will produce .png files.

Using any of the command line utilities above and  what is the single
command to;

1.) create a .mpg file ?

2.) Ensure the created .mpg file is actually viewable by mplayer or some
other Linux mpeg viewing utility such as gtv ?

Again, I would ask any followup replies to be simple and straightforward
without any extra added feature switches included.

Post a reply to this message