POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Pov-Ray and OpenMOSIX Server Time
28 Jun 2024 21:46:47 EDT (-0400)
  Pov-Ray and OpenMOSIX (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Tim Soderstrom
Subject: Pov-Ray and OpenMOSIX
Date: 11 Aug 2004 21:07:32
Message: <pan.2004.08.12.01.08.50.222429@stic.net>
Ok so while I am still toying with PVMPov and it seems to be a great
solution (other than the radiosity problem, which seems to be a problem
across the board with distributed rendering); I was wondering if anyone
has uses OpenMOSIX with Pov-Ray. I know it has been done but what tools
does one use, particularly segmenting the scene down into small chunks for
be processed in parallel?

I know PVMPov will obviously do this; but given it's state of development,
it seems that it is not a particularly popular choice? (I thought it was
pretty cool myself). I know OpenMOSIX doesn't need a program like PVMPov;
all it needs are threads to send to other systems correct?

In any case, as you can tell, I haven't used OpenMOSIX before and am
interested in doing so. Ultimately I am hoping to find a solution that I
can easily put on a CD-ROM so I can boot up machines on campus or possibly
at work to create an instant renderfarm; but for now I just have some
spare machines here at home that would really speed up render times.

Cheers,

Tim