POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 Server Time
2 May 2024 07:36:58 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1 (Message 5 to 14 of 28)
<<< Previous 4 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: clipka
Subject: Re: POV-Ray v3.8.0-beta.1
Date: 11 Jul 2021 13:15:24
Message: <60eb272c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.07.2021 um 18:53 schrieb jr:

> downloaded the 'povunix' as recommended, was surprised the archive unpacks in
> the cwd rather than in a sub-directory.

If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
that, I'd appreciate it.

We're currently using the following sequence of commands to bundle the
files we want:

tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
# Bundle relevant portions of the original source tree, making sure
# to exclude interim products placed there by the prebuild process.
tar -chWf "${tarfile}"          \
   --anchored                    \
   --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
   --exclude="unix/prebuild*"    \
   --exclude="unix/scripts*"     \
   --exclude="platform/windows"  \
   --exclude="vfe/win"           \
   doc platform source unix vfe  \
   LICENSE README.md changes.txt revision.txt
# Add everything created by the prebuild process, except for some
# interim products created by the prebuild process.
# (Note that some files may have already been added by the previous
# command, so we're using `-u` instead of `-r` to avoid duplicates.)
tar -uhWf "${tarfile}"          \
   --anchored                    \
   --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
   --exclude="configure.ac"      \
   --exclude="bootstrap"         \
   ${prebuild_made}
# Compress bundle into proper tarball
gzip "${tarfile}"

where `prebuild_made` is a list of files detected as having been created
by `unix/prebuild.sh`.

> (in which scenario is building from "Source code (tar.gz)" still preferred?)

In the one where you're building for a non-Unix platform but have a ZIP
file format phobia, I guess.

The "Source code (tar.gz)" and "Source code (zip)" assets are added
automatically by GitHub, whether we want it to or not.

Post a reply to this message

> > downloaded the 'povunix' as recommended, was surprised the archive unpacks in
> > the cwd rather than in a sub-directory.
>
> If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
> that, I'd appreciate it.
>
> We're currently using the following sequence of commands to bundle the
> files we want:
>
> tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
> # Bundle relevant portions of the original source tree, making sure
> # to exclude interim products placed there by the prebuild process.
> tar -chWf "${tarfile}"          \
>    --anchored                    \
>    --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
>    --exclude="unix/prebuild*"    \
>    --exclude="unix/scripts*"     \
>    --exclude="platform/windows"  \
>    --exclude="vfe/win"           \
>    doc platform source unix vfe  \
>    LICENSE README.md changes.txt revision.txt
> # Add everything created by the prebuild process, except for some
> # interim products created by the prebuild process.
> # (Note that some files may have already been added by the previous
> # command, so we're using `-u` instead of `-r` to avoid duplicates.)
> tar -uhWf "${tarfile}"          \
>    --anchored                    \
>    --exclude="*Makefile.am"      \
>    --exclude="configure.ac"      \
>    --exclude="bootstrap"         \
>    ${prebuild_made}
> # Compress bundle into proper tarball
> gzip "${tarfile}"
>
> where `prebuild_made` is a list of files detected as having been created
> by `unix/prebuild.sh`.

had not known '--anchored', interesting.  I guess simplest would be just
repacking, something like (any typos mine):

tarfile="povunix-v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}.tar"
# Compress bundle into proper tarball

mkdir v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}
( cd v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} ; tar -xf ../$tarfile )
rm -f $tarfile
tar $tarfile ${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} && sync
gzip "${tarfile}"
rm -fr ${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}

> > (in which scenario is building from "Source code (tar.gz)" still preferred?)
>
> In the one where you're building for a non-Unix platform but have a ZIP
> file format phobia, I guess.
>
> The "Source code (tar.gz)" and "Source code (zip)" assets are added
> automatically by GitHub, whether we want it to or not.

ah, ok.  thanks.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> ... typos ...  </sigh>  even missed out the cli options, sorry.

mkdir v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}
( cd v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} ; tar -xf ../$tarfile )
rm -f $tarfile
tar -cvf $tarfile v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION} && sync
gzip "${tarfile}"
rm -fr v${POV_RAY_FULL_VERSION}

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

>>> downloaded the 'povunix' as recommended, was surprised the archive unpacks in
>>> the cwd rather than in a sub-directory.
>>
>> If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
>> that, I'd appreciate it.
> had not known '--anchored', interesting.  I guess simplest would be just
> repacking, something like (any typos mine):

I think I've found something: Adding `--transform "s,^,FOO/,"` to the
parameters should do the job (for a suitable definition of `FOO`).
Requires GNU, but we don't need this to work on end-users' machines.

Post a reply to this message

> >> If you can help wrangling the `tar` and/or `gzip` command to rectify
> >> that, I'd appreciate it.
> > had not known '--anchored', interesting.  I guess simplest would be just
> > repacking, something like (any typos mine):
>
> I think I've found something: Adding `--transform "s,^,FOO/,"` to the
> parameters should do the job (for a suitable definition of `FOO`).

works using 'sed'?!  v nice.  (will try and remember to explore this when
opportune)

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

>> I think I've found something: Adding `--transform "s,^,FOO/,"` to the
>> parameters should do the job (for a suitable definition of `FOO`).
>
> works using 'sed'?!  v nice.  (will try and remember to explore this when
> opportune)

Not sure if it uses `sed` under the hood, but the syntax seems to be
`sed`-like, yes.

Post a reply to this message