POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : FYI. Watch out for bad color to grey value conversions. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  FYI. Watch out for bad color to grey value conversions. (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: FYI. Watch out for bad color to grey value conversions.
Date: 29 Jan 2021 12:57:43
Message: <60144c97$1@news.povray.org>
I'm going to blame the couple of you reviving a dormant thread about
color to grey conversions for this! Always knock on wood after
mentioning a feature... ;-)

For those compiling versions of POV-Ray v3.8, be on the look out for
issues with the color to grey conversions. Issues which might affect
more than .grey, .gray functionality, though that's where I picked up
the problem.

The following code:

//---
#version 3.8;
global_settings { assumed_gamma 1.0 }

#declare Color = rgb <0.0,1.0,0.0>;
#declare FnP = function { pigment { Color } }
#debug concat("\n\nred  = ",str(Color.red,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("green  = ",str(Color.green,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("blue  = ",str(Color.blue,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("filter  = ",str(Color.filter,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("transmit = ",str(Color.transmit,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("gray  = ",str(Color.gray,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("grey  = ",str(Color.grey,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("\nFnGray  = ",str(FnP(0,0,0).gray,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("FnGrey  = ",str(FnP(0,0,0).grey,9,16)," \n")

// .hf ?
// Most sensitive to red ?  Using all three channels or?
#declare FnHf = function { FnP(0,0,0).hf }
#debug concat("FnHf  = ",str(FnHf(0,0,0),9,16)," \n")

//Sanity check not something aside from .grey
#debug concat("FnVal0  = ",str(0.9876,2,3)," \n")
#debug concat("FnVal1  = ",str(0.98761,9,-1)," \n")
#debug concat(" ","\n\n")
//---

should generate:

red  = 0.000
green  = 1.000
blue  = 0.000
filter  = 0.000
transmit = 0.000
gray  = 0.589
grey  = 0.589

FnGray  = 0.589
FnGrey  = 0.5890000000000000
FnHf  = 0.0039062470588235
FnVal0  = 0.988
FnVal1  =  0.987610

but the gray/grey values reported are wrong (for as right as they get)
for recent code versions and compiles.

First, thought it must be something in my povr changes because I have a
v38 compile done on New Year's Eve which works. After chasing ghosts for
the better part of a day, I finally tried re-compiling v3.8 master again
and to my surprise it too now fails.

I've since found a commit at c341c943 which works and a commit 5219e71c
(1) that fails - with 15 commits between. I should be able to zero in on
the issue, but unless I get lucky, it will take time.

(1) - Nine before Christoph's last v3.8 commit.

My guess at the moment is there is some dependency which changed in a
way breaking code. In broken versions, I don't seem to reach the
conversion code. Clang++ compiles mirror the g++ behavior.

FWIW! Expect it very much hit or miss whether - or when - others might
see this issue. Be aware of it. I'm unsure of the scope beyond the
.grey/.gray feature and using Ubuntu 20.04.1.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

On 2021-01-29 1:57 PM (-4), William F Pokorny wrote:
> I'm going to blame the couple of you reviving a dormant thread about
> color to grey conversions for this! Always knock on wood after
> mentioning a feature... ;-)

*forum Kung-Fu champion takes a bow*

> For those compiling versions of POV-Ray v3.8, be on the look out for
> issues with the color to grey conversions. Issues which might affect
> more than .grey, .gray functionality, though that's where I picked up
> the problem.
>
> [snip]
>
> but the gray/grey values reported are wrong (for as right as they get)
> for recent code versions and compiles.

Holy Chinavia, Batman!

I did further tests, and it appears that .gray/.grey simply returns the
value of the .green channel.  This is a seriously stinky green bug!

Looks like we'll have to use one of these macros for the time being:

#macro DotGray (Color)
   #local C = color Color;
   (0.2126 * C.red + 0.7152 * C.green + 0.0722 * C.blue) // ITU-R BT.709
#end

---or---

#macro DotGrey (Colour)
   #local C = colour Colour;
   (0.2126 * C.red + 0.7152 * C.green + 0.0722 * C.blue) // ITU-R BT.709
#end

Unfortunately, these won't help with pigment functions.

> FWIW! Expect it very much hit or miss whether - or when - others might
> see this issue. Be aware of it. I'm unsure of the scope beyond the
> .grey/.gray feature and using Ubuntu 20.04.1.

I'd mostly ditched .gray for DotGray() anyway, since Christoph revealed
that the .gray formula was inaccurate in the real world, so I wouldn't
have run across this bug, at least not without re-rendering one of my
old scenes in 3.8.  The only situations I can think of in the past 4
years where I *might* have used .gray would be on gray scale pigments,
for which, based on my findings, this bug would not manifest.

I'm using openSUSE, but prima facie this doesn't sound like an operating
system-dependent issue.

Post a reply to this message