POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Performance of GNU vs. Intel C++ compiler on AMD64 Server Time
29 Apr 2024 21:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Performance of GNU vs. Intel C++ compiler on AMD64 (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: clipka
Subject: Performance of GNU vs. Intel C++ compiler on AMD64
Date: 30 Oct 2009 16:06:45
Message: <4aeb4755$1@news.povray.org>
In case anyone is interested to know:

On my AMD Phenom X4 9650 2.3GHz 6 GB Debian Linux system, up until today
I used to compile POV-Ray with either the Intel icpc 11.0 compiler
suite, or (very rarely) with GNU g++ 4.1.1.

Benchmarking results used to be clearly in favor of the Intel compiler,
with typical differences in execution time of 10% and more.

I'm just testing with g++ 4.3.2 now, and (as I would have expected) the
GNU suite has obviously improved. While it is still a tad behind on
average, it quite obviously plays in the same league now as the 11.0
version of Intel's compiler.

Post a reply to this message