POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : special characters Server Time
29 Apr 2024 23:58:34 EDT (-0400)
  special characters (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: tom millican
Subject: special characters
Date: 22 Jan 2009 22:28:36
Message: <49793964@news.povray.org>
I know this has been covered before, but my search techniques are proving
inadequate for finding it.
How does one use special characters in a text object, specifically, the
Greek letter for pi?
I even tried typing "pi" into Google, copying the character from a page that
came up, and pasting it into Kate. It's there in Kate, but it's an empty
space in the render.
Thanks!
-tom

Post a reply to this message

> I know this has been covered before, but my search techniques are proving
> inadequate for finding it.
> How does one use special characters in a text object, specifically, the
> Greek letter for pi?
> I even tried typing "pi" into Google, copying the character from a page that
> came up, and pasting it into Kate. It's there in Kate, but it's an empty
> space in the render.
> Thanks!
> -tom

I think this may be what you want:
http://news.povray.org/povray.international.binaries/thread/%3C3bfdc256@news.povray.org%3E/

Post a reply to this message

>> I know this has been covered before, but my search techniques are proving
>> inadequate for finding it.
>> How does one use special characters in a text object, specifically, the
>> Greek letter for pi?
>> I even tried typing "pi" into Google, copying the character from a page
>> that came up, and pasting it into Kate. It's there in Kate, but it's an
>> empty space in the render.
>> Thanks!
>> -tom
>
> I think this may be what you want:

http://news.povray.org/povray.international.binaries/thread/%3C3bfdc256@news.povray.org%3E/

That's a great start. I'm so used to using the Alt+#### method at work
(using Microsoft Office on Linux), I didn't even think of using a different
font. symbol.ttf should have the Greek letters too, and that one's already
installed.
Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> That's a great start. I'm so used to using the Alt+#### method at work
> (using Microsoft Office on Linux)

Holy Crap! O_o