POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Segmentation fault on 1-voxel df3 files Server Time
17 May 2024 12:58:32 EDT (-0400)
  Segmentation fault on 1-voxel df3 files (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Martin Magnusson
Subject: Segmentation fault on 1-voxel df3 files
Date: 15 Dec 2006 05:54:23
Message: <45827edf$1@news.povray.org>
I want to render an object built from many blocks of df3 files.
Currently I have 6000 df3 files, around 5500 of which have a 1x1x1
resolution with the single density value 0. The other 500 have 15x15x15
voxels.

If I just render the "occupied" df3 files, everything is OK, but
whenever I try to render one of the "empty" ones, I get a segmentation
fault while rendering.

What could the reason be? The files are created in the same way, from
the same program.

/martin

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render an object built from many blocks of df3 files.
> Currently I have 6000 df3 files, around 5500 of which have a 1x1x1
> resolution with the single density value 0. The other 500 have 15x15x15
> voxels.
>
> If I just render the "occupied" df3 files, everything is OK, but
> whenever I try to render one of the "empty" ones, I get a segmentation
> fault while rendering.
>
> What could the reason be? The files are created in the same way, from
> the same program.

If this occurs for every use of a 1 voxel df3 please post a simple test
scene (should be fairly easy with a 1 voxel df3).

-- Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> I want to render an object built from many blocks of df3 files.
> Currently I have 6000 df3 files, around 5500 of which have a 1x1x1
> resolution with the single density value 0. The other 500 have 15x15x15
> voxels.
>
> If I just render the "occupied" df3 files, everything is OK, but
> whenever I try to render one of the "empty" ones, I get a segmentation
> fault while rendering.
>
> What could the reason be? The files are created in the same way, from
> the same program.
>
> /martin

I'm sorry. It was a problem with corrupt df3 files after all (the single
voxel value was written with two bytes instead of one). The problem is
now fixed.

/martin

Post a reply to this message

Martin Magnusson <mmn### [at] invaliddomain> wrote:
> I'm sorry. It was a problem with corrupt df3 files after all (the single
> voxel value was written with two bytes instead of one). The problem is
> now fixed.

  Still, a segmentation fault is a bug in povray, and thus a proper bug
report would be useful.

--
                                                          - Warp