POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : parameters in Povray Server Time
1 Jun 2024 19:47:08 EDT (-0400)
  parameters in Povray (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: parameters in Povray
Date: 2 Nov 2006 13:05:00
Message: <web.454a331735022025347ebb530@news.povray.org>
marabou <not### [at] availableyet> wrote:
> If code is altered, copyright holders a not more
> completely correct, because someone has done modifications. It would look
> as modified code would come from team members

isn't it the same as with GPL code?  Linus Torvalds holds the copyright to
the original code he writes in the Linus kernel, but modifications are
copyrighted by whomever made them...

Post a reply to this message

From: marabou
Date: 2 Nov 2006 14:06:12
Message: <454a41a3@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:
[..]

> You have a point here; we do not have an official policy on how others
> should mark individual files that they have modified. Probably we should
> put some thought into this prior to releasing the version 3.7 source code.
>
> -- Chris
I am not fanatic for any paragraphs, surely not. But if you want accomplish
your rules some helping hand for people who do any modifications would be
likely.
One idea could be to diff modified code with official source code.

But on the other hand: this could be too much work for some coders.
And if a rule is too complex this could mean that some (most?) people do not
publish their own good modifications anymore.

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Date: 2 Nov 2006 14:30:16
Message: <454a4748@news.povray.org>
marabou wrote:
> But on the other hand: this could be too much work for some coders.
> And if a rule is too complex this could mean that some (most?) people do not
> publish their own good modifications anymore.

well all I was thinking of is requiring a statement to be added to the header
of the file that it has been modified, and by whom. I don't think that's too
much of a burden.

Post a reply to this message

From: marabou
Date: 2 Nov 2006 15:38:50
Message: <454a575a@news.povray.org>
Chris Cason wrote:

[..]
> well all I was thinking of is requiring a statement to be added to the
> header of the file that it has been modified, and by whom. I don't think
> that's too much of a burden.

of course