POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Debian package for POV-Ray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 03:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Debian package for POV-Ray (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: gorillix
Subject: Re: Debian package for POV-Ray
Date: 22 May 2006 16:50:00
Message: <web.4472207e55a275abe6b6ac8f0@news.povray.org>
"Mike C" <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> sascha <sas### [at] jpatchcom> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've switched to Ubuntu a few weeks ago - and there's a precompiled
> > POV-Ray package available, but it's version 3.5 (at least it's all
> > Synaptic is able to find).
> >
> > Is there a more recent version available for Debian and/or Ubuntu?
> >
> > This is just an informal question, I know that it's no problem to get
> > the latest source and compile it, but I'd still prefere packages if they
> > are available (so I don't have to worry about path and library issues).
> > I'm just curious.
>
> The Debian (and therefore Ubuntu) povray package has pvm (or some other
> parallelization) patches on it.  Because those patches don't work on
> anything newer than 3.5 (3.6 had 'radical changes' - uses mpi on local
> system to prepare for 3.7 (supports multi-processor machines, a.k.a. SMP,
> or shall I say "Dual Core Compatable"? :) and other future versions of
> pov-ray) there has been no newer version of povray.  (My feeling is that in
> retrospect the thing probably should have been released as povray-3.5-pvm
> and then there could have been an official povray-3.6 ... package, although
> that would mess up the current scheme anyhow.)
>
> In any case, installing 3.6 from the binary tar.gz from the povray.org
> website has worked really well for me.  ("$ sudo ./install" in the povray
> install directory extracted from the tar.gz file)
>
> IIRC, in Ubuntu/Debian 'depends' on the povray package aren't forced by
> packages such as KPovModeller and the like and they'll usually autodetect
> even a install from the official packages from povray.org once installed.
> (Meaning that kpov will run povray from the program, not that synaptic will
> find povray.)

I've been installed POV-Ray on debian-etch but it seems not to work. So I
purged it and installed the binaries (wget -c
ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/Official/Linux/povlinux-3.6.tgz
)in my home, in ~/usr, just running the
script ./install as normal user, not as root. After that I added this line
in my ~/.bashrc :
export PATH=$PATH:~/usr/bin

Seems to work ;-)