POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : how to WINE win versions of povray Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:36:23 EDT (-0400)
  how to WINE win versions of povray (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: how to WINE win versions of povray
Date: 6 May 2005 16:48:51
Message: <427bd833$1@news.povray.org>
I put a live Linux CD into a win box and then tried:

right click on WINE (menu optoin in KDE)

"Put Into Run Dialog"

wine  /mnt/hda1/povray/bin/pvengine.exe

get error: cannot find home entry in registry.

I know other means of using povray have been discussed here, but I just
tried this on a whim on a PC that ain't connected to internet.

Is there a syntax for WINE that *would* work?

Post a reply to this message

> I put a live Linux CD into a win box and then tried:
>
> right click on WINE (menu optoin in KDE)
>
> "Put Into Run Dialog"
>
> wine  /mnt/hda1/povray/bin/pvengine.exe

AFAIK WinPOV has to be installed before use - try running the install
program.

Christoph

Last updated 03 May. 2005 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

Just to make sure, I mean that there was an extant, working version of
povray on the PC for years.  I just tried WINE with a linux live CD.  Do you
mean that I have to (re) install from WINE, then invoke again?

>> wine  /mnt/hda1/povray/bin/pvengine.exe
>>

> AFAIK WinPOV has to be installed before use - try running the install
> program.

Post a reply to this message

> Just to make sure, I mean that there was an extant, working version of
> povray on the PC for years.  I just tried WINE with a linux live CD.  Do you
> mean that I have to (re) install from WINE, then invoke again?
>
> "Christoph Hormann" <chr### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
>
>>>wine  /mnt/hda1/povray/bin/pvengine.exe
>>>

>>AFAIK WinPOV has to be installed before use - try running the install
>>program.

run : 'wine /path/where/povwin.exe/is/located'

then run something like : 'wine .wine/drive_c/Program
Files/path/to/the/pvengine.exe' file

./wine is a hidden directory

Fabien

Post a reply to this message

From: Txemi Jendrix
Date: 6 May 2005 19:49:37
Message: <427c0291@news.povray.org>
Greg M. Johnson wrote:
> I put a live Linux CD into a win box and then tried:
>
> right click on WINE (menu optoin in KDE)
>
> "Put Into Run Dialog"
>
> wine  /mnt/hda1/povray/bin/pvengine.exe
>

> get error: cannot find home entry in registry.
>
> I know other means of using povray have been discussed here, but I just
> tried this on a whim on a PC that ain't connected to internet.
>
> Is there a syntax for WINE that *would* work?

1st you'll have to install povwin using wine:
(If povwin36.exe is located (p.e.) in /home/greg/downloads)
open a console and type:
cd downloads
wine povwin36.exe

The installation window should open (like in Windows). Follow the steps
you already know to install it.
Important: Accept the default location for installation; C:\Program
Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.6.
The installation should end with a test render (exactly the same as in
Windows).

Then if you want to run povray for windows the command to run is:

wine "C:\Program Files\POV-Ray for Windows v3.6\bin\pvengine.exe"

And that's all.

Hope this helps

Txemi Jendrix
www.txemijendrix.com