POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : what GUI's for Povray can you recommend Server Time
1 Jul 2024 01:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  what GUI's for Povray can you recommend (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Mark Ulrich
Subject: Re: what GUI's for Povray can you recommend
Date: 28 Oct 2004 21:20:00
Message: <web.41819a5488d08c951baad8cb0@news.povray.org>
> It fired up on the first try. Very nice.

great! :-)

thanks for your reply :)

Happy rendering :-)

Mark

Post a reply to this message

From: bwright
Date: 12 Nov 2004 06:50:00
Message: <web.4194a2da88d08c9552583de90@news.povray.org>
"@(none)" <""step"@(none)"> wrote:
> First, i am totally new to all this 3D stuff.
> I installed Povray few days ago and spent larger part of me weekend with it.
>
> Writing code i beyond me so i need a GUI for all this. :)
> I use KDE/Gentoo Linux i have used this kpovmodeler that is part of a
> kde-base/kdegraphics package.
>
> Looks like this GUI can not handle any of the .pov files that are
> available here in many newsgroups.

The trick with kpovmodeler is to import the files in a specific order.
Since kpovmodeler doesn't support the #include statement, you have to make
sure to include the dependencies manually (i.e., import *.inc files first)
before you import the .pov file.  Also, older POV files using things like
QCone_Y (which is in shapes_old.inc) won't import unless you import
shapes_old.inc (or at least, the parts it wants).

Further, there are some files that simply don't import without modifying the
syntax.  I've managed to get all my *.pov files imported that I created
using Moray.  Although, I had to get rid of and/or modify some things in
the .pov file and some of the includes to get all of the objects and
materials imported.  The syntax parsing of POV files in kpovmodeler leaves
a bit to be desired.

I've used both Moray and kpovmodeler.  kpovmodeler is a bit more powerful
than Moray.  When you get stuck in Moray and want to do something specific
in POV that isn't available, kpovmodeler lets you write custom code where
Moray doesn't.  I'm also running this on 64 bit linux which seems to speed
up rendering by quite a bit.  I'm mostly happy with kpovmodeler.  But, it
could do with a bit more enhancements to make it a fully functional
modeler.  But, I've used it for a couple of days and it's rock stable (no
crashes).

The last thing I want to do is create a kpov saved file with nothing but
tons of textures and materials as a library.  Once I've done that, I can
simply open the file and drag/drop these onto the current project to add
that material.

I haven't tried many other modelers than these two for POV, but so far I've
liked them both (but for different reasons).