POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Re: 3d modeler Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3d modeler (Message 11 to 11 of 11)
From: Roz
Subject: Re: 3d modeler
Date: 5 Nov 2001 15:27:29
Message: <3BE6F673.8070406@netscape.net>
Jon A. Cruz wrote:

> Daniel Matthews wrote:
>

>>Why did you call Andreas Zehender an Evil Troll?!!
>>He is the primary developer behind KPovModeler and I think the guys are
>>doing a brilliant job of it too.
>>:-\
>>
>>Jon A. Cruz wrote:
>>[snip}
>>
>>>..I don't like using things that require the work of Evil Trolls.
>>>

> Sorry, I didn't mean that to be taken as anything negative about Andreas.
>
> I was instead complaining about the Qt library from Troll Tech (that KDE
> is based on). Their licensing is better than it was, but it's still bad.

I thought you probably meant TrollTech. You know a company name like
that just begs for some bad jokes ;)

> Among other things, you can't use the free version of the library to build
> a commercial or shareware app, unlike GTK++ and its LGPL. In fact, Troll
> Tech considers shareware to be non-viable and prohibits Qt's use for
> shareware.

I prefer LGPL too. But I also like KDE for my desktop. That lead me to
the quandary of choosing between Qt and GTK+ where one would help me
create apps that take advantage of the KDE look that users have set up
vs the other having the better license. Also, I may eventually do a
commercial app for Linux and the cost of a commercial Qt license seemed
pretty expensive to my frugal budget. So what I've ended up doing is
programming in the KDE environment (KDevelop) using GTK+/Glade/etc. At
least most Gnome/GTK stuff runs in KDE (and KDE stuff will run in Gnome
too)!

-Roz