POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : POV-ray problems under Linux Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  POV-ray problems under Linux (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Arnold the Aardvark
Subject: POV-ray problems under Linux
Date: 6 Sep 2001 14:40:26
Message: <3b97c31a@news.povray.org>
I have previously used POV unders Windows and got on quite well with it.
I am new to Linux and thought having POV on it would encourage me
to use it. I installed the system following the instructions provided.

I created very simple scene (copied from 'Ray Tracing Creations') and
ran this command line:

  x-povray +W120 +H90 +Ifirst.pov +Ofirst.tga +V (also from the book)

Everything appeared to work but the resulting TGA could not be opened
with any image viewers under Linux or Windows. The same appears to be
true of PNG and JPG. I didn't try anything else.

Also, is x-povray supposed to give me a nice image to look at while its
working? Perhaps my test was too small/quick for this.

Thanks for any help.

Arnold the Aardvark

Post a reply to this message

> I have previously used POV unders Windows and got on quite well with it.
> I am new to Linux and thought having POV on it would encourage me
> to use it. I installed the system following the instructions provided.
>
> I created very simple scene (copied from 'Ray Tracing Creations') and
> ran this command line:
>
>   x-povray +W120 +H90 +Ifirst.pov +Ofirst.tga +V (also from the book)

This looks fine so far...

> Everything appeared to work but the resulting TGA could not be opened
> with any image viewers under Linux or Windows. The same appears to be
> true of PNG and JPG. I didn't try anything else.

... but my guess is that POV-Ray actually did not save the image in TGA
format. If you do not especially specify the file format with the command
line or an .ini file POV-Ray takes the 'system default'... and this is PPM
with unix OS. You can set the output file format using the swith +F... e.g.
+FT or +FC for getting un/compressed targa. See the docs about this. Also
note that the -o switch just specifies the name and has nothing to do with
the file format; actually you better leave it away, then POV automatically
sets the appropriate file format extension.

> Also, is x-povray supposed to give me a nice image to look at while its
> working? Perhaps my test was too small/quick for this.

Yes, it is. Maybe you need to set the '+D' switch. It's best to make a
default .ini file with the basic settings, e.g. I have a file 'pov31.ini'
which contains:

Display_Gamma = 2.4
Library_Path=/home/micha/povsources/include/
Output_File_Name= /home/micha/povpics/
-w320
-h240
+D
+FC

and then use on the command line:
x-povray pov31.ini -i myscenefile.pov

> Thanks for any help.

Hope this helps.

- Micha

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, it is. Maybe you need to set the '+D' switch. It's best to make a
> default .ini file with the basic settings, e.g. I have a file 'pov31.ini'
> which contains:
>
> Display_Gamma = 2.4
> Library_Path=/home/micha/povsources/include/
> Output_File_Name= /home/micha/povpics/
> -w320
> -h240
> +D
> +FC
>
> and then use on the command line:
> x-povray pov31.ini -i myscenefile.pov

I often like to add these when I'm working on a scene:

 +SP128 +EP8

That gives a nice mosaic at the begining.

--
Wind the Frog!

Post a reply to this message