POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : WINE and POV 3.5 for Windows Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:23:40 EDT (-0400)
  WINE and POV 3.5 for Windows (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Mark Wagner
Subject: WINE and POV 3.5 for Windows
Date: 19 Jul 2002 00:56:57
Message: <pan.2002.07.19.04.56.24.175951.206@gte.net>
Has anyone managed to use WINE to run the Windows version of POV-Ray 3.5
under Linux?  I've tried, but it appears to freeze while showing the
splashscreen.

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

From: Sebastian H
Subject: Re: WINE and POV 3.5 for Windows
Date: 21 Jul 2002 06:25:47
Message: <3D3A8CD0.10406@web.de>
Mark Wagner schrieb:
> Has anyone managed to use WINE to run the Windows version of POV-Ray 3.5
> under Linux?  I've tried, but it appears to freeze while showing the
> splashscreen.

This is surely a nice experiment, but why?

Sebastian H.

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:28:32 -0400, Sebastian H. quoth:

> Mark Wagner schrieb:
>> Has anyone managed to use WINE to run the Windows version of POV-Ray
>> 3.5 under Linux?  I've tried, but it appears to freeze while showing
>> the splashscreen.
>>

> This is surely a nice experiment, but why?

For the sake of doing it.

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002 02:22:04 -0400, Mark Wagner quoth:

> On Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:28:32 -0400, Sebastian H. quoth:
>
>> Mark Wagner schrieb:
>>> Has anyone managed to use WINE to run the Windows version of POV-Ray
>>> 3.5 under Linux?  I've tried, but it appears to freeze while showing
>>> the splashscreen.
>>>

>> This is surely a nice experiment, but why?
>
> For the sake of doing it.

Additionally, a quick run of Skyvase using the Linux and Windows versions
indicates that the relatively unoptimized Linux version takes about three
times as long as the optimized Windows version does to render Skyvase.

--
Mark

Post a reply to this message

> Additionally, a quick run of Skyvase using the Linux and Windows
> versions indicates that the relatively unoptimized Linux version
> takes about three times as long as the optimized Windows version does
> to render Skyvase.

Now imagine that kind of optomisation accross your entire system, and you
wonder why people say Linux chuggs

--
Rick

Kitty5 WebDesign - http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources - http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - FAX : +44 (01270) 251105 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key

---

> Has anyone managed to use WINE to run the Windows version of POV-Ray 3.5
> under Linux?  I've tried, but it appears to freeze while showing the
> splashscreen.

  I just tried it out... it runs if you use /NR. But you must also disable
the editor as it causes "segmentation fault". Then use "Select file and
render" (Alt+S). The problem is that it's even slower than the Linux
version...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org

Post a reply to this message

> Additionally, a quick run of Skyvase using the Linux and Windows versions
> indicates that the relatively unoptimized Linux version takes about three
> times as long as the optimized Windows version does to render Skyvase.

I don't know very much about optimization but why aren't there optimized
Linux versions?

Post a reply to this message