POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Python + wxpython = cross-platform editor for POVRAY ? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:35:27 EDT (-0400)
  Python + wxpython = cross-platform editor for POVRAY ? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Fabien HENON
Subject: Python + wxpython = cross-platform editor for POVRAY ?
Date: 25 Jan 2002 17:28:03
Message: <3C51DBB0.20009@club-internet.fr>
I am currently learning to use the python script-language. I know that
there are a few toolkits available freely to create GUIs ( with windows,
buttons, drop-down windows,...) like wxpython, wpy. These toolkits can
be used with nearly the same look-like feeling on different platform.

This is a novice question : Is it possible to write a cross-platform
(Linux, windows, Mac) editor for POV using python and these tools ?

When I switch to Linux, I miss the usability of the windows version of
POV (Hotkeys, the help.chm, the syntax highlighting,....).

I know that there is a POV-mode version for Emacs, but like many
beginners under linux, it puts me off.

Nedit works fine but it needs some tweaking for the syntax highlights.

Going back to my question : it is feasible ?

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

    Should be feasible. Theres a Gtk port for windows. So youre better off
using pygtk. I dont know about wxpython and what libraries it uses and
whether it will be possible to bring up gui interfaces in windows.

Anyway, its a BIG project though, atleast if I'm involved :-)

Regards,
Imran

Fabien HENON wrote:

> I am currently learning to use the python script-language. I know that
> there are a few toolkits available freely to create GUIs ( with windows,
> buttons, drop-down windows,...) like wxpython, wpy. These toolkits can
> be used with nearly the same look-like feeling on different platform.
>
> This is a novice question : Is it possible to write a cross-platform
> (Linux, windows, Mac) editor for POV using python and these tools ?
>
> When I switch to Linux, I miss the usability of the windows version of
> POV (Hotkeys, the help.chm, the syntax highlighting,....).
>
> I know that there is a POV-mode version for Emacs, but like many
> beginners under linux, it puts me off.
>
> Nedit works fine but it needs some tweaking for the syntax highlights.
>
> Going back to my question : it is feasible ?
>
> Thanks

Post a reply to this message